Hornby Castle R3454 running issues

Guardian

Hi All

I wonder if somebody else has made similar experiences with Hornby Castles of recent production.

The model runs wobbly, the complete body moves up and down and from left to right in the track. After disassembly of the gear and coupling rod, moving it by a finger on the top of the chassis, it appears that the rear coupling wheelset is not centred properly.

I have experienced this with three different models from two different retailers, showing the issue varying between strongly visible to nearly derailing. This may be a production issue.

Has anybody made a similar experience with Castles manufactured post 2016?

Regards

Mark

Edited by Guardian

Suggest merging with existing castle thread.

I have noticed hte same problem with the first production batch, that the rear wheels seem a little eccentric, either the entire moulding is slightly off, or the wheels are not square on the axle. At certain points on the wheel revolution, the loco can rock back a fraction. I have not yet investigated this properly

• RMweb Gold

I had a similar issue with a recent production 2721.  If the offending Castle is the same, the rear axle is loose in it’s chassis block channel, and is kept level by a pair of steel springs sprung in rebated holes in the block and bearing down directly on the axle.   It looks is if there should be a bearing plate shaped to the axle, but the ‘owner’s manual’ shows that this is correct and that you can adjust the spring pressure by trimming the springs or stretching them!  I’m not fussed on this arrangement from an engineering standpoint...

I cured the problem on the 2721 by trimming the springs, ballasting the bunker, and smoothing the rather rough spring ends down with a piece of emery.  Running is now much better. 

Your Castle may have different issue of course, but if not hopefully the above will be of use to you. 

Edited by The Johnster

5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I had a similar issue with a recent production 2721.  If the offending Castle is the same, the rear axle is loose in it’s chassis block channel, and is kept level by a pair of steel springs sprung in rebated holes in the block and bearing down directly on the axle.   It looks is if there should be a bearing plate shaped to the axle, but the ‘owner’s manual’ shows that this is correct and that you can adjust the spring pressure by trimming the springs or stretching them!  I’m not fussed on this arrangement from an engineering standpoint...

I cured the problem on the 2721 by trimming the springs, ballasting the bunker, and smoothing the rather rough spring ends down with a piece of emery.  Running is now much better. 

Your Castle may have different issue of course, but if not hopefully the above will be of use to you. 

The Chassis' share no common construction.

A quick look at the easily available service sheets would save you hours of typing Mr J.

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, lofty1966 said:

The Chassis' share no common construction.

A quick look at the easily available service sheets would save you hours of typing Mr J.

Although maybe worryingly this only the latest example of a Hornby model where running issues are apparently the result of inaccuracies in the manufacture of the chassis. This has also been reported in recent Brittania's and the new Duchess.

• 1 month later...

Dear All

To bring this thread to a result, I may keep you updated how I resolved my above running issue. 

After ages of testing, it appeared that the wheels of the two rear wheelsets were not properly centred to the axle. This effected the strongly wobbling running capabilities. 

As this appears to be a manufacturing issue of the recent production lot, I ordered spare parts from the 2011 Castle production lot (Peter's Spares, were still available in December). As the coupling rod screws of the rear coupling wheelsets have changed in between (smaller diameter), I also had to order a coupling rods pack which includes the matching screws.

Having assembled all these parts, my model finally runs top and is sitting straight on the metals :coolclear:

I wish Hornby would spend more attention to quality control.

Best regards 

Mark

Edited by Guardian
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

I had the same problems with Penrice Castle, couldn’t get it to run well so sold it on and bought one of the original batch (also a better shade of green). I’ve had similar problems with recent Britannia’s and a B17. Once a model has been released once and been through all the reviews it seems Hornby don’t have as much interest in making sure things are right the second, third, fourth times etc. It is only these models but it’s a shame considering the high standards they have.

• RMweb Gold

A timely reminder (as if we needed one) of the decade old failing of Hornby’s QC .It is shall we say not as rigorous as perhaps it might be but remains seemingly perfunctory.Get a good ‘un,that’s great ....otherwise.....I have reluctantly concluded after nearly two decades of Hornby purchases that there is always going to be an element of serendipity about the process and that maybe it “goes with the territory “ and that given the company’s sometimes tenuous relationships with Chinese factories there’s not a lot they can do to remedy the situation .

I wish I could be persuaded otherwise because their products are so very good.