Construction of model trusses

4 hours ago, aardvark said:

Horses for courses, and you've clearly managed to get the Cricut to work for you.  I went with a high-force Cameo 4 and a 3mm Kraft blade, which cuts 20-thou plasticard easily, and manages to make a reasonable but incomplete job on 40-thou.

Sometimes I wish I'd waited for a 'later' Cricut / Cameo model that 'can' cut styrene. The current crop of models are much stronger. However, I bought mine ~5-years ago (err, it was on offer!) and it sat unused for ~4-years! I'm sure I'd be using styrene (instead of cardboard) if I could get the cutter to cut it easily.

As for "cheaper", my 20-thou plasticard cost £0.46 a sheet,

That is good value. The stuff I bought from local model shops was much more expensive. I do still use it, but not for buildings.

I suspect you'd agree that using a cutter won't be for everyone.  There is a fair learning curve while you figure out what it can and can't do - and spending hours in front of a computer isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Goodness me yes. I have the 'advantage' that I've been a 'cad' user for over 25-years, and so am used to drawing up designs before they get made. I have real admiration for those people who can make buildings without a complete design and/or automatic cutting machines.

Ian

• Like 1