Moretonhampstead Signalling

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

The question here is really how often did that actually happen?   Basically there was no signalled move from the Home Signal to the Loop, there was only a shunting move from the ground disc.   the only way such a move could be done is that after the engine arrived and came to a stand at the Home Signal the FPL could be unbolted and the points reversed and technically the (a) driver should be given a handsignal to pass the Home Signal at Danger due to the two signals not being co-located.  (b) No doubt what would happen in practice is that the disc would be lowered and the engine would then go into the loop duly ignoring the Home Signal.

(a) Hence it is my view (others are entitled to theirs of course) that the pragmatic solution would have been to treat the two signals as being co-located and and the Signalman giving permission to proceed by setting the road and pulling the Shunt Signal 'off'.

(b) which is what I am saying in (a)

16 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Interestingly in both the 1938 and 1947 Service Timetables there were no light engine movements booked on the branch although that obviously doesn't mean that there weren't any although there was no apparent reason for them judging by the booked service.  Similarly I can't readily envisage any need to changeover the branch engine as an extra movement as this could easily be done at Newton during the normal working day.  So I can't really see much need for it to happen and it would only happen if a light engine arrived from Newton Abbot.  If it was an engine off the Newton end of a push-pull train it would of course have been a shunt move

Although the discussion began by using an hypothetical "Light Engine" movement there was a Light Engine movement introduced when Moretohampstead Shed Closed in 1947. The First and Last Train of the Day was a Light Engine movement, to/from Newton Abbott. The Auto Trailer was left on the Engine Shed Road to prevent a "run-away". I have seen a photograph of the Auto Trailer on shed.

During 1947 concern grew over the condition of the roof of Moretonhampstead’s Engine Shed, such that the Engine no longer stabled there overnight. The Auto Trailer was left on the Engine Shed Road and the Light Engine returned to Newton Abbott where it was serviced and stabled overnight.

Moretonhampstead Engine Shed eventually closed in November 1947.

According to the Summer 1955 Timetable, a Light Engine Departed Newton Abbott at 06:45 arriving at Moretonhampstead at 07:15 to work the first Up Auto Train of the day. In the evening having worked the last Down Auto Train the Light Engine Left Moretonhampstead at 21:00 and arriving at Newton Abbott at 21:35

The Light engine movements continued until 1956, when the whole train returned ECS to Newton Abbot and stabled overnight, returning in the morning ECS to Moretonhampstead to work the first up Auto Train of the day.

Edited by Pannier Tank
additional info added
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Pannier Tank said:

If it was an engine off the Newton end of a push-pull train it would of course have been a shunt move.

Most of the images I have of my period of interest (1950's) show the 14xx on the Mortonhampstead end.

• Thanks 1