RMweb

Bachmann class 08 lighting kit

pendlerail

I have just finally recived my Bachmann class 08 DCC lighting kit from express models. I was wondering if anyone else out there has attempted it and has any hints or tips for me?

Also reading the instructions there seems to be a fair amount of "weight loss" on the engine does this affect pulling power? thanks in advance, Phil

It depends upon which version of the Bachmann 08 you have. The earlier, (non DCC Ready) had the lamp moulded into the body which is fine. The later versions have a plug in style lamp which happens to be transparent and the light will bleed through the sides, the solution to this is to use a black permanent marker on the fibre optic to stop this happening. In the cab area you are also likely to have the same issue with light bleeding through the windows, I got around this but painting the underside of the glazing and also the PCB board that the LEDs are mounted on. The Bachmann 08 I did that was DCC ready, I ended up hard-wiring the decoder in and removed the socket to create extra space.

With the fibre optic you can put a slight curvature to the end to form a lens by putting it close (but not touching) to a hot soldering iron, it looks a bit better than a flat squared off lens. In addition I also drilled out the lights that were left non-operational so that they looked consistent to the rest.

With other express models kits I have not installed the extra circuit board with the resistors installed, simply to reduce space, and instead soldered them in-line with the wires and sealed within heat shrink. However this is not for the faint hearted.

Admittedly I haven't used the Express Models kit on mine, I built one myself and didn't end up removing any weight to install the lights, however I do have one on order for another 08, so I would be interested to see how they have done it. The 08 I have with sound where I have had to remove weight, it doesn't appear to have effected it pulling power greatly.

I will await with bated breath to see what the postman has delivered when I get home.

Regards

Kevin

Archived