If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Newbie to DCC

Guest Panshot

Guest Panshot

Hi,

Have quite a large what started as analogue but has since been converted to DCC OO gauge layout. The layout is very plain being just ballasted track, laid on cork, marine ply base, peco points & motors. I'm not gifted with being artistic. All is very functional but more than very Heath Robinson in its construction.  I'm in to all era's & classes of trains. I really don't understand this DCC 'thing' and tend to struggle understanding the terminology & especially programming CV's. 

I have never mastered CV29.....

...it really is a black art isn't it?  Why I came here.

Have a Sprog 2, LokProgrammer & Lok decoder tester that eventually 'between both' & the internet I get to where I want to be.  I like to fit lights, engine box flicker & Seuth to all my loco's.

I'm into all era's. All Beyer Garratts, class 37's. 20's 08 & 03 are my favourites.  Anything in network rail yellow too.   

I too like to convert older non DCC loco's to DCC & giving them a whole new lease of life.  

Once you have tried DCC and seen its advantages, I don't think that you will want to go back to analogue. No more wondering why the engine won't move and then realising that you haven't flicked the switch to put power into an isolated section. Then there is the beauty of an engine sounding like it should as well as looking and moving like it should. That's not to mention the ease of double-heading or banking a train with another engine.

I can understand people with large layouts and dozens of engines being reluctant to change but certainly anyone starting today would be advised to adopt DCC from the beginning. Not doing so would be like refusing to get a washing machine and hand washing all your clothes. An extremely tight budget is the only possible reason in either case.

Robert