Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Help Needed - DC electro frog switching layout

mango

I need some help, my locomotive wont run on the current wiring set up i have drawn out below, apologies for this weird non conventional diagram but hopefully you can make some sense of it.

I'm using electro frog points on a layout with two boards that will join using a plug together chocolate block and be powered by a DC Hornby controller.

Yes my loco and Hornby DC controller runs normally on a straight test track I've built with no issues at all but when I hook them up to my layout they dont work.

If there are any improvements or mistakes i need to rectify then please let me know. Cheers for your time!

Heres a link to the build thread under the Micro Layouts catagory - https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/150773-north-american-inglenook-n-scale-wpb/

WPB01.png

Edited by mango

Okay, after writing this post i have figured out whats wrong.. I need to split the track in the appropriate places to ensure the electro frogs dont short the circuit.

Are there any good websites/resources that will help me understand the electro frog theory?

Okay - I understand the diagram.  However,  did you fit insulated rail joiners (ie plastic fish plates) on both rails from the frog on the Electrofrog points?  If not, then you're shorting out the DC controller.  Because the polarity of the frog is switched by the position of the point blades it will cause a short if it is not isolated from the adjacent rail beyond the end of the point.  If all three points are Electrofrog, then you'll need six plastic joiners.

Brian Lambert's website is often highlighted as a good beginners guide to wiring issues - https://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/Electrical_Page_1.html#Bookmark1

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Mango, welcome to RM Web. 

May I suggest you peruse the Peco books about wiring. They are directed at all levels of skills, and will probably help you to not  get disillusioned by what can sometimes be a complex subject.

So much fun by only 2 wires!

Best wishes,

Ian.

4 hours ago, mango said:

Okay, after writing this post i have figured out whats wrong.. I need to split the track in the appropriate places to ensure the electro frogs dont short the circuit.

Are there any good websites/resources that will help me understand the electro frog theory?

This link should take you directly to Brian Lambert's discussion of Electrofrog wiring - https://brian-lambert.co.uk/Electrical_Page_2.html#Bookmark3

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the help everyone, I went on and have finally got around to fixing it. Didn't take too much brain power. I really recommend this video if people need help with electro frog points. as you can see from the thumbnail his explanations are intuitive for visual learners like myself! 

• Thanks 1