Behind the Scenes at the Museum

Hammer

Did anyone else catch this interesting fly-on-the-wall documentary on BBC4 on Thursday night?

It was certainly interesting, and while not railway related, it is transport related. Some utterly stunning buses on there, and very well kept indeed. It looks like it'd be worth a visit. Wonderfully dedicated group of volunteers as well.

Sadly, the documentary tackles a power struggle between two groups involved in the museum as they attempt to ensure it's future survival. I'm sure all those who have been involved in voluntary endeavours will be familiar with the type of struggle (I certainly know I've seen them before). Presumably the documentary was pitched to various enterprises which where on their last legs in the hope of reviving their fortunes and getting a story.

You can find the iPlayer version and details of the next episode (filmed in the Freud Museum in London) and repeats on the BBC website.

I watched this with some sadness. All the volunteers were old elderly chaps with admirable dedication to the museum, and the exhibits in their care are well looked after. Unfortunately like so many similar organisations there did not appear to be any younger recruits to keep the place going after the old boys inevitably move on. The commercial manager, or whatever his title is, does seem to have his head screwed on and there may be an exciting future for the place. Let's hope so.

I have been to the Commercial Vehicle Museum in Leyland, and found it to be interesting and well worth a visit if you like old transport items. Mainly buses and lorries, but doesn't every layout need one or two?

Geoff.

Archived