Upgrading a Triang Blue Pullman

Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold

I have always liked the old Triang Blue Pullman. The bodywork is very good for its era but it is let down by aspects below the solebar.

I am thinking of bringing one up to better standards with new mechanism (probably Replica). Does anyone do suitable bogies?

Guest Half-full
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I have always liked the old Triang Blue Pullman. The bodywork is very good for its era but it is let down by aspects below the solebar.

I am thinking of bringing one up to better standards with new mechanism (probably Replica). Does anyone do suitable bogies?

Genesis Models used to do the different bogies, though they are no longer trading.

Southern Pride do the various window patterns for MR & WR power cars and coaches as etches.

Someone done cast metal cabs, I've got some if you want them. K's used to do cat metal bogies of the correct design, I may have some of those around. why not go on Ebay and try to get a Kitmaster pullman? they seem to crop up. I got a set of there a few years ago, some of them unmade.

I tried making the kitchen cars out of the Triang one and it looks ok, but then the /kitmaster stuff was found on Ebay, so the Triang set sits in the drawer.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I didn't know about the K's parts but Chris Leigh also used to supply castings for the bogies and cab ends. i used a combination of Leigh and Genesis parts on mine, together with the Southern Pride window parts. It's a shame that the Genesis parts aren't now available as they were well cast.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blogs/entry/23020-western-pullman-recap-and-progress/

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blogs/entry/23165-western-pullman-brake-gear/

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blogs/entry/23042-western-pullman-adding-lights/

I think somewhere in the comments someone mentions using Class 73 bogies for the power cars, and Mk2 bogies for the rest.

Hi Joseph,

Here is my Triang Blue Pullman that I cut and shut into a Midland six car set using the later grey Western Region bodies.

The main points of the build are:

• The power cars had a section of a first class parlour grafted onto them.
  • The first class cars are as is.
  • The kitchen cars are made up from half a first class parlour a section of the guards compartment of a power car and the left over vestibule ends of the second class end of a power car.
  • Power car and leading kitchen car bogies are Lima class 73 bogies.
  • Unpowered bogies are modified Hornby Mk2 bogies.
  • Railmatch paints.
  • HMRS transfers
  • SEF flush-glaze.

DSCF0881.JPG.5d8a05af4849ce7a20d691618bb997ed.JPG

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Joseph,

Here is my Triang Blue Pullman that I cut and shut into a Midland six car set using the later grey Western Region bodies.

The main points of the build are:

• The power cars had a section of a first class parlour grafted onto them.
  • The first class cars are as is.
  • The kitchen cars are made up from half a first class parlour a section of the guards compartment of a power car and the left over vestibule ends of the second class end of a power car.
  • Power car and leading kitchen car bogies are Lima class 73 bogies.
  • Unpowered bogies are modified Hornby Mk2 bogies.
  • Railmatch paints.
  • HMRS transfers
  • SEF flush-glaze.

DSCF0881.JPG.5d8a05af4849ce7a20d691618bb997ed.JPG

Gibbo.

My apologies for not remembering your name when I mentioned the Class 73 bogies, Gibbo.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...