If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Andymilne

Hi guys, I'm Andy, I'm new to all the modelling. In honesty it's only because of my son that I've started taking more of an interest in it as he is a big train fan. Long story short is I plan to build him a reasonably big set with a cut out in the middle for him to stand in when its on with maybe 2-3 trains going round at once. However all the information is like a foreign language to me. Any help and advice is appreciated.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy, that's a huge question! You will find that a couple of hours browsing the peco and Hornby websites will help.

You don't say how big a space you have but i think Hornby do suggedted track plans. I would also suggest that you start simple and add to it as time goes on. It is good to get something running quickly as it maintains the enthusiasm. Do you have a local model shop? If so, pay them a visit and buy some stuff from them. They also might have some second hand track which might be useful if on a tight budget. Might be worth going to a model railway exhibition too. Lots of traders and layouts to give you inspiration .

But do start simple and build it up.

Thank you for your reply, I was thinking about just buying a standard oval shaped set to begin with and the more familiar with everything I get add more and more. As for specific sizes I'd need to check how much of the spare room I'm able to use first. Unfortunately I don't have one local to me but have one within a reasonable distance so could go over there and have a look/ask some questions.