Oldbury RC&WCo. Wagon Axleboxes

2996 Victor

• RMweb Premium

Thinking ahead to several planned rolling stock projects, I've been trying to discover to what design the axleboxes, both grease and oil, used by the Oldbury Railway Carriage and Wagon Co were. I'm interested in the type(s) of axlebox used on vehicles built from 1890 up to 1902, when it bacame part of the Metropolitan Amalgamated Carriage and Wagon Co. Ltd.

Images seem surprisingly thin on the ground, i.e. non-existent, and the only thing I've managed to turn up so far was right here on RMWeb in Ruston's thread on building a tank wagon, which includes a drawing: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/50429-home-office-1901-cylindrical-tank-wagon-scratchbuild/&tab=comments#comment-586487 The axleboxes shown on the drawing have rounded bottoms, and the lids appear to suggest they are grease.

I've had a look at the HMRS website for drawings and photographs, and there may be just what I'm looking for under their MetroCammell files, but its pot luck unless you have prior knowledge. A single photo would be enough just to give a measure of reasonable likelihood for my projects, so if anyone can suggest possible sources of information, I'd be glad to hear from them!

All the best,

Mark

• Like 1