Hornby B1 "Stembok" R3451 - named or not?

spikey

How is it that if you do a Google search for "Hornby R3451", whether or not the model comes with nameplates fitted seems to depend upon who's flogging  it?  For example ...

https://www.track-shack.com/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=r3451&PN=Hornby-R3451-OO-Gauge-BR-4-6-0-Thompson-B1-Class-Stembok-61032-Hornby-R3451.html#SID=74 and https://railsofsheffield.com/products/29973/Hornby-r3451-oo-gauge-br-4-6-0-stembok-61032-thompson-b1-class-locomotive

• RMweb Premium

It looks like TrackShack are displaying the Hornby artwork, whereas Rails are displaying their own photograph.  The Hornby artwork is a sort-of 'halfway house' image, with some of the detailing kit fitted (nameplates) but most of it not fitted (front steps, drain cocks, etc.).  The Rails photo shows you the loco as it comes out of the box, without any of the detailing kit fitted.

I've had two Hornby Stemboks, bought a year apart from each other and from different shops, both of which were supplied with the nameplates in the detailing bag.  The second one I prefered that way anyway because I wanted to change the loco itentity - not having to risk damaging the finish of the loco while prising off strongly-glued plastic nameplates was a real bonus.

Hope that helps.

Pete T.

P.S. I do think it's a bit odd supplying plastic nameplates in the detailing bag, rather than fitted to the loco.  Brass ones in a detailing bag, maybe, but plastic ones?  I don't remember ever coming across that with any other named loco I've bought.  Perhaps Hornby considered that owners might want to change the identity?  I don't know if the other Hornby named B1s (Roebuck, Harold Mitchell) were supplied with nameplates not fitted in the same way.

Edited by PJT
Add P.S.
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, PJT said:

Hope that helps.

It does indeed, Pete.  Thank you.  Interesting though hardly surprising that nowhere does Hornby tell punters that the nameplates come in the detailing kit.  I'd have thought that was a plus point well worth making ...

• Agree 1

If a B1 with a particular number always ran with nameplates it seems reasonable to fit them at the factory, but equally there is value in leaving them off for people with the intention of number change. I favour having them on, as that's how the particular engine would have been in the real world..

61243_Hornby_B1_2a_r1200.jpg.b799e4ca9d174e0926fa3284e736637a.jpg

It's a cracker of a model either way! :)

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, spikey said:

I'd have thought that was a plus point well worth making ...

Definitely.  More than once I've had to spend a lot of time repairing the paint finish of a Hornby A4, after removing a very well glued plastic nameplate to fit a shorter one that doesn't hide all the damage, during a renaming exercise.  DIY nameplate application would remove all that grief, though I do understand why many owners would feel nervous about fitting their own and would prefer their nameplates ready fitted.

I like renaming/renumbering Hornby A3s.  All the nameplates, however long or short the name, are the same length!

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, robmcg said:

It's a cracker of a model either way!

Certainly is, Rob.  Hornby really nailed the character of the B1, I reckon (and the K1 and L1, possibly a bit less so with the O1).

Your photo's not half bad either...

I do have a model of your photo subject, Sir Harold Mitchell, but I bought it secondhand with the nameplates already fitted so I don't know if it was supplied new with them in the detailing bag, like Stembok.  Presumably yours had the detailing kit fitted at the time it was weathered, before you received it?

Pete T.

Yes I bought it in that lovely weathered condition, and have several good photos but am bound by agreement with Andy not to put my edited pics in general threads, since many prefer pics of 'actual models'. Fair enough.

I'll put one maybe in the 'Best Ever' thread which is allowed since I started it. 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82970-hornbys-best-ever-models/page/131/&tab=comments#comment-3853067

Cheers

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just to confirm that after contacting Hornby direct I have received a reply from their Customer Care Dept confirming that the model was not supplied with name plates, although no reason given. I did point out the the description on the end of the box and the picture on the over sleeve both show and detail the model as Stembok but no reason was given. Thankfully the very kind lady at Foxes Transfers has managed to sort me out a pair of etched plates for £9.00 so will be adding these once received. Laurence

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tri-angman said:

Just to confirm that after contacting Hornby direct I have received a reply from their Customer Care Dept confirming that the model was not supplied with name plates, although no reason given.

Good evening Triangman,

Well, the confusion seems to continue.  I've now bought four new 'Stembok' models and every one has come with the nameplates in the accessory/detail pack.  Granted they weren't ready fitted to the loco but they were there in the packaging (as discussed above, a very unusual way for Hornby to sell a named loco).  See my photo below, taken just now, of the detail pack that came with the fourth Stembok loco I bought, clearly showing the included nameplates.  If yours came without nameplates, then part of your detailing pack is missing.  With respect, I'd suggest that someone in Hornby's customer care department may have forgotten how they sold the loco!

All the best,

Pete T.

IMG_0985.JPG.3a21da6fef0dfbd377cfa6260d8df6ea.JPG

Edited by PJT
Duplicated photo