Finsbury Park Diesel Maintenance Depot 1960 - 1983

Baby Deltic

A new book has just come hot off the press about the life and times of Finsbury Park Depot, the people who worked there, and the Locomotives allocated to the depot during their working lives. The book was written by Ian J. Lewis, and retails at £24.99. It has 275 pages in an A4 size format with plenty of photo's and diagrams. I picked up a copy at John Dutfield's in Chelmsford. Ken Wilkinson who runs the shop with his wife Heather, is heavily involved in the DPS and fundraising. Proceeds from the sale of the book go towards the restoration and return to traffic of 55015 'Tulyar', as well as the upkeep of the society's other Deltics. It is a very well presented and detailed book with some good photo's of loco's such as classes 23, 26, 30 and 40 during the depots early years, right through to the later era with class's 46, 47 and 55 as well.

Plenty of photo's of the depot itself, under construction and after closure, as well as plans, and details of internal user vehicles and the breakdown train. The book has a good section on Deltics, naturally, with plenty of piccies of Deltics on depot and at Kings Cross. It does cover other loco types in the same manner, on a class by class basis. Prototype's such as DP1, DP2, Falcon, Kestrel and Lion are also mentioned. There are some very rare shots taken in 'passenger loco' at King's Cross. Altogether a very good book, well worth a look.

ISBN 978-0-9565544-0-6

• 1 month later...

A new book has just come hot off the press about the life and times of Finsbury Park Depot, the people who worked there, and the Locomotives allocated to the depot during their working lives. The book was written by Ian J. Lewis, and retails at £24.99. It has 275 pages in an A4 size format with plenty of photo's and diagrams. I picked up a copy at John Dutfield's in Chelmsford. Ken Wilkinson who runs the shop with his wife Heather, is heavily involved in the DPS and fundraising. Proceeds from the sale of the book go towards the restoration and return to traffic of 55015 'Tulyar', as well as the upkeep of the society's other Deltics. It is a very well presented and detailed book with some good photo's of loco's such as classes 23, 26, 30 and 40 during the depots early years, right through to the later era with class's 46, 47 and 55 as well.

Plenty of photo's of the depot itself, under construction and after closure, as well as plans, and details of internal user vehicles and the breakdown train. The book has a good section on Deltics, naturally, with plenty of piccies of Deltics on depot and at Kings Cross. It does cover other loco types in the same manner, on a class by class basis. Prototype's such as DP1, DP2, Falcon, Kestrel and Lion are also mentioned. There are some very rare shots taken in 'passenger loco' at King's Cross. Altogether a very good book, well worth a look.

ISBN 978-0-9565544-0-6

If anyone wants a copy then see Charlie Petty (DCKITS/DEVIDEOS) at Hartlepool this weekend. See you there!

• 4 weeks later...

Got mine after some chasing of the DPS.... arrived nciely packaged a day or so later. Nice weighty book with lots of informative pictures and text - just a shame about some of the typos. If you knew the London terminus of the ECML in the 70s, like me, then it's a must... especially if you're a Deltic fan! Enjoy

Got mine after some chasing of the DPS.... arrived nciely packaged a day or so later. Nice weighty book with lots of informative pictures and text - just a shame about some of the typos. If you knew the London terminus of the ECML in the 70s, like me, then it's a must... especially if you're a Deltic fan! Enjoy

I got my copy last week and I must say it is brilliant book with great amounts of detailed information and the photos of the inside of the depot are fascinating. I would heartly recommend this book to all.

Excellent work from the authors and the DPS.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Just got my copy of it - fascinating pictures and a delight to flick through, but while reading last night I found myself getting increasingly frustrated by the multitude of typos, sentences that simply don't make sense and other mistakes such as incorrect photo captions - and I speak as someone who takes a dim view of those who nit pick grammatical mistakes! It really is very weird to see a book published with so many errors present and I can't help wonder how it slipped through the net, because there are some real howlers?!

Don't let this put you off though - as someone who travelled past the depot frequently this book is pure and wonderful nostalgia and there is a LOT to look at as its a hefty volume :)

• 6 years later...

Opening in 1960, presumably the first inhabitants included the English Electric Type 4 diesels (D206 etc) then based on the ECML.  Two questions, firstly, where exactly were the 34G shedplates fitted on such diesels?   Secondly, the Type 4's arrived before FP was operned - where were they based (34A or 34B??)and did they carry These shedplates as well? 

Archived