The Good the not so Good and the plug Ugly

Bassettblowke

Three of my recent purchases, as I have mentioned before I tend to scrub around with the bottom feeders when it comes to collecting however on occasion, well actually quite frequently I come across a mint and boxed item that is to good to ignore.  First up is the good,I don’t know whether this item was unpopular, overproduced or seldom used because there seems to a load of them knocking about. That said over on eBay some chancer is asking a £100 for one and will rip you off on the postage to boot. You really shouldn’t pay more than £10 for a mint and boxed example and £4 is not uncommon, this particular example was £6. It also came with the Connecting plate in its envelope, my inability to walk past these means I’ve now got at least a dozen a good excuse to add some sidings.

second up is the bad, well in my book it isn’t that bad, purportedly a Bassett Lowke signal now I don’t know zilch about signalling but I do like signals so I snapped this one up as a job for another day. Finally the plug ugly a length of Hornby platform fencing with a Picasso paint job, a quick plunge into the caustic and a coat of appliance white should put this one to rights58FE1AED-A4AC-441A-85D6-72103E6A2DB0.jpeg.0871d1bf62f934aa39de9980bfeb0344.jpeg

7DAC2848-B614-493A-BF5C-653818C64382.jpeg

B58F3EC5-F0EE-4076-9D67-130BAF09C5F8.jpeg

Edited by Bassettblowke

A man after my own heart!..

I too can't resist bargain job lots etc...youre quite correct tho, it's surprising what some of 'em on evilbay reckon they can get for stuff, I've seen equally 'cosmetic' lengths of that picket fencing you have, starting at 10 to 15 quid, plus p+p !!

Another popular trick seems to be rip the wheels off old wagons and then try to flog said bunch of wheels for some absurd price...this of course results in a large number of wheel-less wagons, which via 'spares / repairs' job lots the likes of myself ( and possibly you) then end up with!

I think I've 'only'  got about 6 sets of buffers as yet, these often seem to get thrown in with a bulk scrap lot, but as you say, there are the chancers who reckon they can get big money for them too.

I got these in such a lot the other day.. No idea of the maker but a change from the grey Hornby ones..

IMG_20200227_205228_456.JPG

I’ve never seen anything like that before maybe I need to get out more, my only oddball one is a French JEP with an illuminated H on a post, another of my impulse buys.  I wonder just how many varieties of O gauge buffer stops are out there to be had. At this rate I can see myself being carted off to the home for wayward train addicts in a furniture van full of scrap train stuff.

You are dead right about the platform fencing especially when you factor in the repro stuff that’s available also Merkur sell a dead ringer for the old Hornby fence. Paying more than a tenner is nonsensical and even £10 is probably to much for a piece of tat that needs work.

while I am on the subject of tat here’s my own example fresh from the caustic, rinsed and awaiting a scrub with a scotchbrite pad.

FE03F0E7-96DA-414A-AC9E-9D17C2653A35.jpeg

5B970609-C105-4929-B466-42453720C39D.jpeg

• Like 1

The thing missing from that BL signal looks to be the post cap, otherwise not too bad.

My layout is signalled with these, no central control though, and mostly the upper quadrant ones, but I have LQ starters at Paltry Circus, so this might show you what the missing bit looks like - it’s different from on the UQ ones. Should be easy to make from a chunk of brass.

PS: just visible in the background is my ‘signal farm’, where all the damaged ones that I’ve been given live until repaired or cannibalised to make signals for particular applications.

63564D4B-A588-4F44-AAC1-AA4CEA51D645.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Porkscratching said:

A man after my own heart!..

I too can't resist bargain job lots etc...youre quite correct tho, it's surprising what some of 'em on evilbay reckon they can get for stuff, I've seen equally 'cosmetic' lengths of that picket fencing you have, starting at 10 to 15 quid, plus p+p !!

Another popular trick seems to be rip the wheels off old wagons and then try to flog said bunch of wheels for some absurd price...this of course results in a large number of wheel-less wagons, which via 'spares / repairs' job lots the likes of myself ( and possibly you) then end up with!

I think I've 'only'  got about 6 sets of buffers as yet, these often seem to get thrown in with a bulk scrap lot, but as you say, there are the chancers who reckon they can get big money for them too.

I got these in such a lot the other day.. No idea of the maker but a change from the grey Hornby ones..

IMG_20200227_205228_456.JPG

That one's Bing, they made it forever in Bing terms, 1902 ish to 1932. Any trademarks embossed or stamped on ot anywhere? If it's an early one, it will have a trademark embossed in the sleepers. Got half a dozen of these myself, lovely things.

Cheers, Mark

• Like 1

Back from the brink is the platform fencing, instead of appliance white I treated it to a coat of Lidl’s Baufix metal paint which like Hammerite purports to deal with rust, requires no primer and the minimum of prep, unlike Hammerite it dries to a perfectly smooth high gloss finish.6DDCC16D-A8EF-46A6-A281-90AF39D546CE.jpeg.133f7615887d91272dad3dc4a157f3d6.jpeg

,F1134FB4-0C02-4962-A5C5-F0417A1330AB.jpeg.935a48b0388696bd1ed3ee549b92bbd4.jpeg

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Bassettblowke said:

Back from the brink is the platform fencing, instead of appliance white I treated it to a coat of Lidl’s Baufix metal paint which like Hammerite purports to deal with rust, requires no primer and the minimum of prep, unlike Hammerite it dries to a perfectly smooth high gloss finish.6DDCC16D-A8EF-46A6-A281-90AF39D546CE.jpeg.133f7615887d91272dad3dc4a157f3d6.jpeg

,F1134FB4-0C02-4962-A5C5-F0417A1330AB.jpeg.935a48b0388696bd1ed3ee549b92bbd4.jpeg

Looks good. TBH I'm deeply sceptical of Hammerite's no-primer claim. I always found the adhesion rather poor on unprimed surfaces. Poor enough that I never got it to stay on long enough to find out if it really dealt with rust. After the first few disappointments I always used a rust killing primer under it. With proper priming I found it to be an excellent and very durable finish, as long as you were prepared to wait the (seemingly) several months it took to reach full cure. 

I believe they changed the formula of the hammerite ranges, a bit like the useless paint strippers they do nowadays, due to the ingredients that actually work being banned or such nonsense!

I used the smooth version of hammerite on machinery, straight on metal, back in the 80s and it was excellent back then..

I haven't bothered with the "enviromentally fat free" modern hammerite version so can't comment from actual experience!

One of the joys of using hot caustic is the spotless finish obtained, a quick wash down with a spray of water and a scotch brite pad followed by a blast from the other half’s industrial strength hair dryer ( it’s that powerful I am surprised she’s got any hair left) and your good to go with the paint.

I am impressed with the Baufix product good coverage, quick drying and a deep lustrous finish akin to a coat of lacquer and best of all reasonably priced. The down side is it’s not a stock item in Lidl so only pops up when the  DIY promotions are on, well worth keeping an eye out for.

• Funny 1

The fencing being done and dusted the signal began to draw me in, initially I wasn’t to impressed but I gave it a quick wash and brush up and it began to look like it may have potential. Now I have no knowledge of B/Lowke signals this being the only one I possess in anything like scale proportions. One of the first things that caught my eye was a hole in the base this may be original but to me  at least has the appearance of a diy job and if that’s the case the originality has gone out the window and it’s fair game for some bodgery. Any thoughts2AB02EBF-10F0-4DAE-95B1-4B72DC68F87E.jpeg.15028c94e5f6c54fc78ffbe0b6fc8abd.jpeghole is bottom right corner

Also the spring which doesn’t seem to serve any purpose at the moment hanging like a wet sock as it does, I am tempted to remove it, opinions also welcome on this.

0F8D2041-DFF2-444E-A4CF-19BD2E1569DB.jpeg

Edited by Bassettblowke

There's provision for another spring to act the opposite way on the lever and the other base hole, so either you could elect to have it sprung on or off, or maybe both were balanced so it'd stay where you put it ??

The other BL signals I showed earlier have a single spring each tho....

The spring is meant to give an ‘over centre’ action, but I find that some of them are too tired to actually do that.

The holes in the corners of the base are for fixing the signal to the baseboard, and the spring should anchor to a split-pin through the post or base depending upon the date/design.

Here are some other potentially helpful pictures of patients waiting in my queue.

5D5029C6-99AB-4073-BC78-EEAAC5763614.jpeg.842cea05417ec5cf72f0640b56ab94b5.jpeg

7AD30674-73EC-4B6D-BD5F-463CF7ABFD1C.jpeg.5343f674b4d16a3492510e25d0b8817d.jpeg

54D779E3-84CF-4015-9F85-F237AC66643C.jpeg.77b8c13be2d07c62bc60b9738d8a9c1c.jpeg

And, to show that one is a less-common somersault signal.

0858FA7B-ECC8-4AA4-8F87-B66CCE2A37E1.jpeg.62e0951245d151a4b420a9084063a53f.jpeg

If you need any more pictures, shout.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4