RMweb

On 25/06/2020 at 12:34, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Really enjoyed the photos - had to keep reminding myself this is N Gauge!  Close up photos of my models usually reveal the flaws - these look great.  Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! I enjoy the challenges it brings to the table! (most of the time) 

Point levers received a coat of paint which now stand out on the layout to show the smallest of details which can be achieved in N gauge! 

I also modded some peco buffer stops as they were a little on the chonky side. These were primed, painted with sleeper grime, weathered with powders and finally sealed with matt varnish. Love the overall look of them for an old worn out buffer stop. 

F6F9DC40-90C2-43A5-B9F5-95A3976F37FE.jpeg

3357291E-BD07-48D9-A336-4116C51B9532.jpeg

46507103-01B5-4191-8788-29CA8BC88948.jpeg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, JimRead said:

Hello Elliot,

It's a gorgeous layout and very well done indeed, I like the track plan and the inclusion of the kick back sidings, makes operating so much more interesting. May I ask if you are going to use a 3 road traverser for extra stock and a run round.

I found that by doing this once set up I don't have to take anything off the layout by hand.

Cheers - Jim

Thanks! If you’re referring to a fiddle yard, I’m using a cassette yard designed and manufactured by myself.  This will allow me to remove stock without handling each one.  

CF38128B-C3C1-4D7E-874A-706B1D394C79.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Started to add scenery details to the layout. Static grass was added to help blend the bushes in against the retaining walls as these looked a bit of an eye sore against the dark ground. 

Bushes were also added to the front to give and overgrown look to the layout. These were a mixture of woodland scenics & javis. Customised a few by adding different coloured scatter to them.  

1DE9E46A-DCEC-400C-9AD5-AAFF2608E468.jpeg

C41BC69E-F8FF-47CE-BA96-2911E9A7F077.jpeg

• Like 5

Started on the retaining wall roads, just one of those jobs I wasn’t looking forward too. I find getting roads right is quite hard, especially in N gauge. Tried to match the backscene as best as possible. Still might add some more patch repairs. 

The pavements still need a weathering touch up and tweak, but meh I’m happy with the final finish.

4AC4F5C0-AE4A-4169-A259-CBE83D34D227.jpeg

56AA9ABA-7BE9-4E71-8173-191C916EB194.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
On 06/07/2020 at 22:57, Elliot Friend said:

Started on the retaining wall roads, just one of those jobs I wasn’t looking forward too. I find getting roads right is quite hard, especially in N gauge. Tried to match the backscene as best as possible. Still might add some more patch repairs. 

The pavements still need a weathering touch up and tweak, but meh I’m happy with the final finish.

4AC4F5C0-AE4A-4169-A259-CBE83D34D227.jpeg

56AA9ABA-7BE9-4E71-8173-191C916EB194.jpeg

The road looks very effective and seems a good match with the backscene - can I ask how you did this - which colours / paints and how you got the effect of wear and tear from tyres (I need to do some 'roadbuilding' too)? Thanks, Keith.

[PS: autocorrect tried to change 'roadbuilding' to 'bodybuilding' - very glad I spotted that one!!!]

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke

1 hour ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

The road looks very effective and seems a good match with the backscene - can I ask how you did this - which colours / paints and how you got the effect of wear and tear from tyres (I need to do some 'roadbuilding' too)? Thanks, Keith.

[PS: autocorrect tried to change 'roadbuding' to 'bodybuilding' - very glad I spotted that one!!!]

Thanks! Made from 1mm grey board. Painted it with cheap acyclic from the works. Base coat was a dark grey then weathered it with various weathering powders to get the desired look. Sealed it with a Matt varnish to stop the powders coming off. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 10 months later...

So after a long pause from the hobby, I’m now starting to get back to it! 

During the 2nd lockdown I bought a 3D printer to prevent the death of boredom. Putting it to good use at designing my own control panel for Brislington sidings. 

Plenty of room for all the wiring and to incorporate the gaugemaster controller. 

308E8C79-F90A-4FA4-A846-DBA4A906EB08.jpeg

4CEB4E9E-85F3-4523-865F-4081FDDE11A5.jpeg

09EFC0D3-2FD5-4A3D-8913-74DB44C5C8B1.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1