Wheat fields in Static grass

I want to create a scene with wheat  being cut by a combine harvester. This reqires the grass stems to be a vertical cut straight edge, if they are floppy , limp or all over the place the "cut" edge won't look right. Has anyone managed to acheive this? The stems will need to be 3-4ft 12-16mm. I am experimenting with plumbers hemp and may even try teddy bear fur stiffened with pva or hairspray. So far my experiments havn't been particularly successful.......

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi All.

I have tried the hanging basket liner method but the fibres were too random. The carpet/mat option was considered. I got hold of some plumbers hemp. cout it of in equal size chunks and stuck them down into pva. When the glue was dry I trimmed it level with hairdressers clippers ( don't tell my wife!). It has a bit of a windswept look but that is quite often the case. The tree is hand made as well.

IMG_20200311_144124.jpg.f0ef50912670558d4d0291ca6c17c231.jpg

• Like 5

7 hours ago, CharlesAndHenry said:

Hi All.

I have tried the hanging basket liner method but the fibres were too random. The carpet/mat option was considered. I got hold of some plumbers hemp. cout it of in equal size chunks and stuck them down into pva. When the glue was dry I trimmed it level with hairdressers clippers ( don't tell my wife!). spacer.pngIt has a bit of a windswept look but that is quite often the case. The tree is hand made as well.

IMG_20200311_144124.jpg.f0ef50912670558d4d0291ca6c17c231.jpg

With the hangen basket fibres you needed to brush them over with old hairbrush to thin it out..

Edited by saxokid