Duchess of Sutherland in Scotland - or not, in this case

ejstubbs

I was quite looking forward to seeing 6233 up this way in May this year, hauling the Aberdeen Flyer on May 2nd.  However, I notice that the Railway Touring Company is now advertising that tour as being hauled by "a locomotive from the Carnforth pool".

This will be the second time I know of that 6233 has been pulled from a railtour running north of Edinburgh: we were booked on one of the SRPS tours a few years ago when Tornado had to be substituted at fairly short notice due to "gauging issues".  Is that still a problem for this locomotive (in which case one might wonder how it came to be advertised in the first place) or is there another reason this time?

ISTR that 6233 was scheduled to be coming to Edinburgh as part of another tour at the start of May, and running the Aberdeen Flyer while it was up here.  However, I can't find any trace of any other tour coming up this way that week, so maybe whatever that one was, it got cancelled.

Guess I'll have to satisfy my Stanier urges with 6201 around the middle of April instead...

10 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

This will be the second time I know of that 6233 has been pulled from a railtour running north of Edinburgh: we were booked on one of the SRPS tours a few years ago when Tornado had to be substituted at fairly short notice due to "gauging issues".  Is that still a problem for this locomotive (in which case one might wonder how it came to be advertised in the first place) or is there another reason this time?

6233 had gauge problems a long time ago in Scotland. When it was moved south from Butlin's at Heads of Ayr, via the ex-G&SWR mainline through Dumfries, it was as an 'out of gauge' move. This was despite the fact that Duchesses were used on a daily basis over this line when in BR service. It would appear clearances had changed in the meantime.

A more general question - I remember reading that the LMS lines in Scotland had generally tighter clearances than the lines south of Carlisle. Is that still the case?

Interesting, thanks.  It does rather make me wonder why companies try booking this locomotive for tours up to Scotland if it's known to be problematic.  Presumably the Princess Royal Class Locomotive Trust would be aware of the issues?

Still looking forward to seeing 6201 though - first Hornby loco I owned: synchrosmoke, exhaust steam sound, magnadhesion and all!

I had booked on this tour for the sole purpose of travelling behind 6233 to Aberdeen, a real shame that it won't be happening now and rather annoying that RTC have made no attempt to contact those who have already made a booking.