Airbrush working pressures for beginners

Hi all,

Making the big step into airbrushing from the noble hand brush but only really now getting serious with it. I own an Iwata neo, with my pressure regulator set on approximately 1-1.5 bar (16-22psi) and thought about what working pressure does everyone spray on or are there different working pressures used for acrylics and enamel? Thanks in advance 

Your pressure is pretty OK. depending on the application you may want to increase or decrease it a bit. If I am paining a 7mm loco with large areas, I increase the pressure to about 2 bar. If you want to do somedetail work, 1 bar may be a good idea.

I think that all paints should be set ti the same viscosity (like milk), so the pressure should be the same with any paint.

Michael

• Like 1

I notice you are in Poole, Everything Airbrush Poole is in the Heathfield Estate, BH16 6LT.  They are not only knowledgable, but very ready to share their experience.  I would recommend that you give them a ring and arrange to drop in at a time convenient to both of you.

There are pressures which are applicable for different jobs, close, more distant, light/heavy coverage, wide/narrow spray, suitable paints and many more topics.  They can also advise what pressure ranges might be applicable for different Airbrushes and nozzle size.  

Dependant upon which items you have, the will probably be able to advise about your specific items, too.

Julian

PS. No connection, but very satisfied at the service offered.

• Like 1