Quality of ID backscens

Robert Stokes

I hope that I have put this in the right section.

I am probably in the very unusual position of having bought two of the same premium sets of ID backscens five years apart. I bought the first set of "Hills and Dales" in 2015 as a special order of 27" high ones to go on the layout I was building in my shed. Last year I decided to rebuild the layout to a different design and 12" higher than before. I peeled the backscenes off the walls and stored them on the roof of the shed. The idea was to re-use them on the new layout cut down in size. The roof had been painted white so sticking them on there should not have damaged them. However, because I didn't have room for all of them individually, I stuck half of them on top of the others. I didn't realise that this was a bad idea because when I came to peel them apart it badly damaged them. I therefore decided to replace them with new ones but didn't immediately bin the old ones.

I therefore ordered a new set of the same backscens but this time ones of the standard 15" height. When they arrived I was disappointed with them because the colours were very muted. I asked if I could return them and have a replacement set the same as I had bought in 2015. I was told that there were two sets of "Hills and Dales" and I would be sent the other set after I returned the first lot I had received. The replacement set arrived yesterday and, although better, they are still disappointing. I have just laid on the dining table, one of the 2015 set and the corresponding one of the new set. They are exactly the same picture but the colours on the new one are not as clear as on the old one. The best way I can describe it is that everything on the new ones appear as if viewed through a haze.

Has any had a similar experience or bought ID backscenes recently and been disappointed with them.

Robert