Wires and point control

johnteal

A section for comments on wiring, not the mains stuff, I'm sure we all have opinions on how to get the 240v stuff to where we need it but I'm guessing non of the forum admin want to be held responsible if we follow some unsound advice given here. So its more to do with DC/DCC point motors outside or other forms of control. Any bright ideas or experience.

At the moment its not an issue for me as I am running battery locos R/C or just on off on plastic track

Previously on other layouts outside I have used an R/C speed controller 12v in, with its output side feeding the track, so it worked like DC but by radio control. I have also used DCC with good results.

John

The 240v mains on the Heatherburn is confined to the garage only. One of the first things that I did when I started inside the garage was to screw a 3'x2' sheet of 3/4" chipboard to the wall by the door. On this board is mounted the fused spurs, sockets, etc. From this central board all the cables run out to the garden junction boxes. To supply low voltage power for the signaling, etc I use an old PC power supply. Also mounted on the board is a 24vdc switched mode power supply and an old Hornby master/circuit controler. The old controler's have been modified to control the 24vdc SMPS output to the track. The internal 16vac transformer is still used however for feeding the CDU for the point's. Trains out on the garden section are controlled automaticly using reed switches and relays. From the terminus in the garage to the first station trains are controlled via the gaugemaster unit on the main panel. When the train enters the first station the loco triggers a timer that creates an isolating section at the end of the platform. Once the timer has 'timed out' the power is switched to the garden supply and the train then departs. To build up speed gradualy I use 10w resistors in the track feeds. The timer is also linked to the signaling system. Generaly the system has worked ok whilst being tested the only problem is with newer locos that have flywheels! The colour light signaling is controled by interlocking relays again operated using reed switches. The colour light signals are all conected to a 6 core alarm cable running in conduit by the track side. Electricaly there is still a lot to do to the layout before it is fully operational but the tests that have been done so far have not given any major headaches. ;)

Archived