Electrofrog and Isolation

MartynA

I have started my first small (four sidings and a passing loop) DC electrofrog code55 layout and would just like to check my understanding of something if I may. I’m fairly happy with point wiring which will be Peco style B, PL13 on PL10 to change frog polarity with point wiring cut and insulators on the frog to line rails.

As I see it I will need to put dropper power feeds on the rails after the frog insulators to get any feed to the siding or passing loop. I reckon that this will mean the siding/loop will always be live irrespective of point position. Therefore I need to put a separate track isolation on/off switch in the dropper feed wire to allow locos to be stored in the siding or loop.

Is this thinking correct? If so, is there a way to wire the isolator switch automatically or should I just run the wire back to the control board and put a switch where the point studs are?

Thanks as always for your help,

Martyn

Edited by MartynA

Yes, you will need some way to switch power for the loop.

By making sections as small as possible, you make faults less likely & if they do occur, they will be easier to find.

It is possible to feed a loop from a second switch on a point motor (I believe Peco do a double switch but cannot remember its number). Unlike feeding directly from points, you will be feeding them from 1 end only which, if wired correctly, will eliminate the possibility of feeding from the wrong end of the point.

The alternative is as you have suggested, powering the loop directly from a control panel. I prefer this because I can see which section is live.

& you may not be interested in this at this time...but your methods are directly transferrable to DCC.

No track lifting would be required to convert your layout if you or someone else decides to do it at a later date, but the power arrangement would be different beneath the board.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help. The layout is only on a 4’x2’ board so all runs a small. I am having a fiddle/storage yard on setrack code 80 to save space and just the scenic side powered. It’s all a bit tight but is just an exercise in modelling and experimenting really. 

08D0E5C9-3C76-4F5B-84EB-23C9D071073D.jpeg

B45E8AF5-759D-4C1A-A4B3-1B686C786456.jpeg

• Like 1