Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Roller bearings - O gauge

Might be worth a look:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-681ZZ-Miniature-Iron-Shield-Ball-Bearings-Wheel-For-Roller-Toy-Model-1x3x1mm/372503705520?hash=item56baf377b0:g:MWgAAOSwROldtpsr

A quick furkle around ebay should bring up something suitable sizewise once you've ascertained journal diameter, what diameter you can squeeze into the axlebox, and what width is available therein.

So this seems to be the score - Slaters have 1.75mm outer ends on the axles, and there simply aren't any suitable bearings available (in general, not just model railway). So the solution is to fit Peartree wheels (blackened steel, so a bonus anyway) with their roller bearing kit, which is what I'll do and see how it goes...

• RMweb Gold

I forgot to add I have a slight tilt on my front room floor my Dapol HAA wagons no roller bearings fitted will happily roll along 4 yards of track without any persuasion..... 

We'll see, that's the fun in experimenting, which is the real point. I got the idea from watching exhibition videos on Youtube and never seeing loose or hump shunting - it was great fun doing it on the real thing (if a little scary now and again) and was, after all, a fundamental of railway operation pre the demise of wagon-load.

• RMweb Premium

If you want very smooth running have you tried PTFE bearings ?

My good friend has a small layout that has a siding on a very shallow incline that holds a brake van. He draws a train into the station and places the brake van in the siding which is held by a small catch. The train is run around and then he releases the catch and the brake van runs down the gradient to be in the correct position. 

When he built the brake van with normal top hat brass bearings the van would not roll far enought. 

We had both been shown many years ago a wagon made with PTFE bearings that when given a slight push it rolled around a test track without stopping for a long time. We were both impressed. 

So I built him a brake van with these bearings and the transformation was amazing. 

This brake van went more than 4 times further than any other wagon.

I think I obtained them from S & D models.

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

There were articles about PTFE bearings in the model press 50 odd years ago.  They relied on the axle diameter being reduced to a very small figure and were used where the sideframes were unable to cope with the sideways force inherent with pin point bearings, probably Peco wagons with their sprung axleboxes. I have an idea Pendon was mentioned. I have never tried them.  I have the opposite problem with pin point bearing coaches rolling along where they should stay put.  However with my thinking hat on, a red bobble hat, I thunk if they reduced the journal diameter to reduce friction I wonder if reducing the axle diameter where a pick up wiper makes contact would reduce friction.  That way you could have an onboard decoder and a servo to operate the van brakes.  Hang on a minute, every wagon could have its own decoder and servo.
What's the eMail of the patents office?

• Funny 1

OK, that's a thought with PTFE. I'll get some (when I can) and try. In mean time I'll order some rollers and fit them to SR brake van kit (don't care if I wreck it), and then PTFE for he sand tippler as and when (which I do care if I wreck). Thanks guys.