RMweb

Power Controller upgrade.

Timken

That was a quick answer & I completely agree.

Gaugemaster make several controllers, all of which will comfortably out-perform the R911, giving much better performance.

I have just taken a look through Gaugemaster's range & some of the controllers are more expensive than I remember. Even considering this, I consider them to be much better value than any analogue controller Hornby have made. Gaugemaster controllers also have a lifetime guarantee. They don't go wrong very much but Gaugemaster will repair them without any fuss at all.

If you want a single box controller, complete with transformer to just plug in & go, then the GMC-100M should fit the bill.

Sticking with single controllers, there are other options within Gaugemaster's range.

GMC-P - Single track controller with simulation. This is a little more expensive than the above but contains a brake simulator which can be switched on or off, allowing you to turn power off & watch the train come smoothly to a stop. This feature really polarises opinion. Some love it, some absolutely hate it.

If you don't mind a little work, then you could go for a panel mounted controller. If the controller will be permanently fixed in the layout, then these look a lot tidier but you will also need a separate transformer. Still staying with a single unit, this is available as a simple controller (GMC-100) or one with simulation (GMC-U).

If you prefer the freedom of a handheld, then these are available too.

The GMC-COMBI comes with its own transformer, making it quick & easy to set up. GMC-W needs an external transformer & you would also need to fiddle with adding connectors.

Gaugemaster make a range of feedback controllers too. These can easily be identified by their black front panel. This type of controller has gone out of favour now, largely because newer motors work well without it & they can also overheat when used on a feedback system. If you end up with a DCC fitted loco for some reason, then a feedback controller is likely to damage the decoder.

So there is quite a wide choice from 1 manufacturer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Gaugemaster DC controllers are excellent and all carry their lifetime warranty regardless of where purchased.  In fact purchasing from other suppliers is frequently cheaper then direct from Gaugemaster!

The other excellent DC controller manufacturer is Morley and many come with additional hand held controllers too.... Morley link

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice...I `ve purchased a GMC-DS twin controller with simulation! Initial impression is that I like the simulation effect,it seems that the more modern the loco ,the better they interact with the effect but that could just be down to individual units also. 

The Guagemaster looks to be a very well made  unit ,nice to see in this day and age !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Gaugemaster are the mutt's wotsits, you have made a purchase you will never regret.  No connection satisfied customer.  My power controller is 40 years old and still working perfectly, supplemented by a HH.  These are proper quality pieces of kit at reasonable prices, bombproof reliable.  The HH is so good that controlling a loco seems to be a matter of it responding to your willpower, so natural and unobtrusive is the control process.  The power controller is heavy enough to not need holding or fixing in position.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2