Revisiting Helston

I have decided that my blog on modelling Helston is better suited to this location.

I have been making good progress although not so good at updating things, however, over the last little while I have been experimenting with Rapido's Railcrew switch motors, that perhaps understandably I have not see much on in UK sites such as this one.  For those unfamiliar with Rapido I believe they are a Canadian Company based just outside of Toronto.  For my model of Helston station I have 8 points to control, 5 of which have closely associated ground signals, and this is what drew my to the Rapido Railcrew motor, note that I am using the standard Tortoise  for the other 3.

The Railcrew has been developed for the N. American market and consists of a rotary motor that fits in the baseboard with the top flush with the top of the board it is then works the point via a thin metal wire and allows a ground signal to be directly connected to the top of the motor, as supplied they come with what I believe to be the three main ground signals used in N. America.  But my thought was how will this work for GWR ground signals, an email to Rapido was quickly answered with the answer that my plans should work.  So I ordered 5 at roughly the same price as the 3 Tortoises I also ordered, added to this was a pack of Peco GWR ground signals.

First step was to assemble the Peco ground signals without the supplied base.  Having read a number of reviews it was suggested that the 1 1/8" was slightly oversized so I opted to dig out my UK spade bits and selected the 28 mm which is about 0.7 mm smaller and drilled the hole.  I am using Peco Long radius code 75 points and found that when I trimmed off the top of the "knob" on the slide bar I had a perfectly sized hole through which I could feed the control wire.  Once I had mastered the process I found it relatively easy to install and adjust.  I then opted for a touch of hot glue once I was satisfied that every thing was working (this was in part to the 9 mm ply being used was thinner than the motor actually required.  Here is a pic of two motors in placeGWR_001.JPG.6b65bb68112d75b5c597a7ce75c6c8e8.JPG the next step was to insert the thin wire supplied into the top of the "servo arm" and cut it to length and super glue it in place.  Then the Peco Ground switch was super glued to the wire.  The image below shows one ground signal installed and just the brass wire in the other (middle far right).

GWR_002.JPG.47b4a2efdc7028386efb66d98abe4359.JPG

when the point is changed so does the ground signal

GWR_003.JPG.fc21c830be99a623bcb1e40e3d02dc10.JPG

I have since painted the body and bulk of the ground signal black, but left them white for these pictures for ease of showing.  I have also hidden them having extended that ballast over the top, obviously leaving a small clearing for the arm to move.

Overall I am very satisfied with the results, and would recommend this, I should note that like the traditional point motors, these are a rapid action motor that changes quickly with an audible thunk and not the low whirr of the Tortoise, but when you want an active ground signal they fully meet the need and are easy to install and more importantly convert at least to a GWR Ground signal.

• Like 3

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just found your thread. I too am revisiting Helston so good to see somebody else doing it. Have you Seen Tony's layout (A Cartoon of Helston).

Would love to see some more pictures of your layout.

Edited by Andy Keane