The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Can anyone identify these old cars?

pinzaboy

Hi

Going through old family photographs I've come across these two pictures showing cars in our family and I would really like to know what make and model they are. And whether the cars might be pre war or later.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tim20200415_183415.png.2aaa5275bfcbc3cf0293050511540110.png

• Like 1

The coupe, it's a good bet it's a circa 1930 MG Midget, just from the petite size and the fact that a large volume  - by the standards of the day - were produced. Body styles varied, (this also applies to the saloon) as both factory bodies and independent coachbuilder bodies were fitted. A good view of the radiator is often most helpful in identifying the chassis origin, and if it is a coachbuilt body by 'expert eye'.

Orion's thoughts of a Rover saloon is definitely a 'possible'.

The first is an MGJ2 Midget, 1932.  I got one for my first car when it was 32 years old.  Magic car, motorised roller skate, cornered on glue, mainly almost solid springs and compression plate shock absorbers.  3' 6" wide, 3' inside the cockpit, very snugg on a winter's night.  Cycle wings on the front, great, but puddles shot a jet of water through the side of the floorboards, straight up the right hand trouser leg, avoidable, if you saw it coming.  It had a 4 speed, all crash box, very quick for changing gear, but a steep learning curve if you wanted to move around quickly!  :) 

Julian

Edited by jcredfer
  • Informative/Useful 2