Model wheels

billtee

I am building a model of a grain store which is near my home, and outside the real building is a heap of ‘rubbish’ which includes a couple of (trailer?) wheels and tyres.

I cannot get ‘out’ at present due to coronavirus lockdown, so can’t visit a ‘bring and buy’ sale of old/unwanted diecast models where I would find an old model I could dismantle to obtain the wheels.

Can anyone in our community help, please? The wheels need to be about 21mm dia (3ft in real life).

I am, of course, willing to pay any expenses incurred, so if anyone can help, please let me know at

billtee45@outlook.com

Thank you,

Bill

Managed to ‘make’ a wheel and tyre, with its suspension lever which looks like it has snapped off the trailer (unseen) frame. I had to glue 3 layers of 1/16” plastic together with Plastic Magic, then after cutting the block to approximately the right diameter, turned it on my little Minicraft drill lathe accessory (something I don’t use much these days - I sure miss my Myford ML10 which I once had!). Used a 6BA hex head bolt in the centre after some filing of the head to become the hub of the scrapped wheel, with some brass cut and bent into an approximation of the original broken suspension unit.

This little project has been ‘interesting’, and now all I have to do is paint the hub in ‘rusty cream’ colour, and matt dark grey for the old tyre. The suspension unit is just ‘rust’ colour.

Anyway, after all this, I will now NOT need a wheel from a diecast model vehicle, but thank you all for reading my ramblings.

Bill