Heljan 7mm Hymek Numbers

Started to detail a BR Blue Heljan 7mm Hymek I have had for a while but as these have the numbers already factory fitted how do you remove them to put etched ones different to the D7100 that it has at the momentunknw_mini.gif

Brian

I've used careful but persistant rubbing of resin polish (from Halfords) with a cotton bud. It leaves behind a polished area but once vanished it is invisable.

Unfortunatley the numbers from Shawplan are too thin and you need two sets of numbers sweated together to give the correct thinkness.

HTH

Brian, have not tried it myself, but I was told that meths or IPA will remove the numbers but you have to be careful not to remove the paint as well, its gently does it! I have only got unnumbered Heljan locos so have not had to remove any.

regards

mike g

Thanks Mike, I tried meths but ended up with a nice blue cotten budsad.gif Then I decided to ask on here. Haven't got any IPA. As you say it's nice not to have to do this on the 7mm Heljan locos except for the Hymeks though.

Heljan's 'paint' jobs are notoriously thin when compared to the likes of Hornby and Bachmann. But have found that the 7mm Hymek paint thinkness is enough to allow my above mentioned method to work.

HTH

I have just removed them with an old tin of T Cut I found in our shedgood_mini.gif I think when I put the etched numbers over it you won't see where the old ones were but at the moment it looks like the silver painted ones were put on with a branding iron as the number D7100 still appears sort of etched into the plasticchok_mini.gif I shall put the etched numbers on with satin varnish. I did this with an old Hornby one before and it looked ok.

Archived