New Video - Narrow gauge tramway tunnels & a shipwreck!

Exploring the remains of the narrow gauge tramway tunnels that linked the River Wear with Low Lambton Sandstone quarry. And, a shipwreck on the river wear near Sunderland.

• MattDitch changed the title to New Video - Narrow gauge tramway tunnels & a shipwreck!
  • MattDitch changed the title to North Yorkshire Moors Railway Annual Steam Gala 2021
  • MattDitch changed the title to Beamish Museum Autumn Transport Gala
  • MattDitch changed the title to Video - Beamish Museum Autumn Transport Gala
  • 2 weeks later...

The 22nd of October was the last public steaming for Stephen Lewin 0-4-0ST "No.18" at Beamish Museum. The engine, built in 1877 has now been retired pending an overhaul. The below video gives a brief potted history of the engine along with footage of it working at the museum.

• MattDitch changed the title to A Potted History of Seaham Harbour Dock Company No.18 "Lewin"
  • MattDitch changed the title to A trip on the NYMR
  • MattDitch changed the title to Campbeltown and Machrihanish Light Railway
  • 2 weeks later...

New Video!

This part 1 in a series of videos on the now closed Lanchester Valley Railway in County Durham. The line opened in 1862 and finally closed in 1966. Part one follows the line from Dearness valley Junction on the ECML to Witton Gilbert railway station.

• Like 2

• MattDitch changed the title to New Video- Lanchester Valley Railway Part 1
  • 4 weeks later...

A few weeks back I visited the National Museum of Scotland, Edinburgh. One of the exhibits was “Wylam Dilly”. It was built by William Hedley, with the assistance of Timothy Hackworth in 1815. The engine operated on the Wylam Waggonway, west of Newcastle. In 1815 the engine was rebuilt with eight wheels as it was too heavy for the cast iron rails of the waggonway. It was returned to its original four wheel configuration in 1830 when the waggonway was relaid. 

DSC_0132.jpg?format=1500w
“Wylam Dilly” is the younger sister of “Puffing Billy” which was built around 1814, also for the Wylam Waggonway. The original “Puffing Billy” is located in the Science Museum, London. A replica is also in operation at Beamish museum. And, another replica exists in Germany. Until 2008 it was thought that “Wylam Dilly” was the oldest surviving steam locomotive in the world. It has now been confirmed that “Puffing Billy” is the older of the two.
In 1822 the locomotives was temporarily used to power a paddle steamer on the River Tyne. Wylam Colliery closed in 1862 and the locomotive was transferred to Craghead Colliery where it stayed till it was withdrawn in 1883. Upon withdrawal, the engine was gifted to the Royal Scottish Museum in Edinburgh, where it remains on static display to this day. 
I’ve included a shot of the replica “Puffing Billy” on a rake of Chaldron wagons to illustrate what “Wylam Dilly” would have looked like in service. DSC_0135.jpg?format=1500w

• Like 1

• MattDitch changed the title to New post - Steam locomotives in the National Museum of Scotland part 1
  • RMweb Premium
On 21/11/2021 at 20:28, MattDitch said:

New Video!

This part 1 in a series of videos on the now closed Lanchester Valley Railway in County Durham. The line opened in 1862 and finally closed in 1966. Part one follows the line from Dearness valley Junction on the ECML to Witton Gilbert railway station.

Thanks for posting that . Although I come from Scotland my father was born in Seaham and we had lots of relatives that lived in Langley Park , Esh and Sacriston . I’ve always wondered about the railway that ran along the valley . Very interesting 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

New Video!

I haven't really been able to get out recently to record any new content. So for my last video of the year, I thought I'd produce a look back at 2021. With clips from my favourite galas & events.

There's a mix of standard gauge, narrow gauge & miniature. Featuring both mainline and industrial steam.

• MattDitch changed the title to New video - 2021 in review
  • 4 weeks later...

After a bit of a break over Christmas & the new year, I'm finally back with a new video. This is part two of my walk along the Lanchester Valley Railway in County Durham. This part covers the section from Witton Gilbert to Lanchester. Please click below to watch it.

If you missed part one, it can be found here

• Like 3

• MattDitch changed the title to New video - The Lanchester Valley Railway, Part 2: Witton Gilbert to Lanchester
  • 2 weeks later...
  • MattDitch changed the title to New video - The Lanchester Valley Railway, Part 3: Lanchester to Consett

New Video - The Malton Colliery Wagonway

The Malton Colliery Wagonway was a narrow gauge railway that linked the drift mines around Malton Colliery with the main colliery. It was located near the town of Lanchester in Co. Durham.

Please click the link below to watch the video

• Like 2

• MattDitch changed the title to New Video - The Malton Colliery Wagonway
  • 2 weeks later...

New Video - Durham, old railways and lost pit villages

This video takes a look at Durham's railway past. Starting with a brief look at Durham Elvet station before moving onto Shincliffe Town station and the line to Houghall and the old pit village there.

• Like 1

• MattDitch changed the title to New Video - Durham, old railways and lost pit villages
  • MattDitch changed the title to New gallery and first steam of 2022 - "Horden" at Tanfield
  • MattDitch changed the title to New Video - KWVR steam gala
  • MattDitch changed the title to KWVR steam gala - Video & Gallery
  • MattDitch changed the title to New Video - Victoria Garesfield Colliery & Railway
  • 4 weeks later...