Advice Required - Wiring up ROCO Line points DCC

Hi everyone.  I am building a multi level layout in my domestic garage.  I have finished 3 modules which are the highest part of the layout.  These are all plain double track, Code 75 (except for the curved ROCO line points which are Code 83).  I am now building the next section where the double track becomes single track using a curved ROCOline point 42471.  I've not yet had to install or wire any points.  This is my first.  I suspect I also need to install a (catch) point off to the left away from the main direction of travel from the track leading into the junction from the double track main line.  What should I use prototypicallly?  Should I use a PECO left hand catch point or a small radius SL-E196 point?

The installation is made more awkward by the fact that the point's tie bar will be situated just on or right next to a single track modern concrete bridge and so the motor may have to be a short distance remote from the tie bar.  Is this possible? 

Also, I have no idea yet as to how to wire up these points for DCC.  Ultimately I will be using route setting.  I would be grateful for any comments about choice of point motor, but am leaning towards servos or SEEP type motors, but will to hear any particular points of view. 

This particular stretch of track is on an embankment, about 7 to 8 inches above the lowest level and immediately after the point will cross a modern concrete bridge over a double track main line.

junction.jpg

Edited by Dixie Dean

• RMweb Premium

I'm far from the world's expert on these matters, but I don't think a catch point is required in a situation like this - they're there to stop things running onto main lines from sidings and yards, not to stop a train on a main line going where it's got every right to go ……. I think the junction would just be protected by a stop signal.

No idea about motorising Roco points, sorry!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Dixie,

I agree with Chimer, no catch point required.  As for motoring the Roco points....

The Roco tie bars are not sprung so you will need some form of latching to ensure the tie bar stays in position. If you use a SEEP you will need the sprung version, I think the product code is GMC PM4.  You can also use the in built switch on the SEEP to wire the frog, Roco pre wire their points for this and you will find three tiny holes in the end of the sleepers level with the frog where you can insert the wires from the SEEP motor.

I will say the the tie bars on the Roco points are not too sturdy, I would be concerned that the jolting of the SEEP solenoid might damage the tie bar.  I have a number of these points to install and I have decided to use Conrad point motors, or you could use Tortoise, these have a realistic and quieter operation but are more expensive options. 

Good luck,

Steve

Edited by sjp23480
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Hi gents, I have got to the point where I am about to seriously lay track and could do with pointing to the definitive ways of wiring both Peco code 75 points and Roco code 83 points (the ones with trackbed) for DCC.

Many thanks