Railmatch paints - do they 'match'?

So after discovering my old 80's train set in the loft I've embarked on a bit of restoration project. The job list includes servicing, lighting upgrades and some paintwork. When it comes to painting, personally I don't like the look of brush finishes, especially on models. I decided to go the aerosol route to provide the options of spraying where possible or brush painting - spray the paint into a container and brush on. I purchased Railmatch aerosol BR Blue (RM1207) and Warning yellow (RM1202) and hit a couple of models with them to check for match and finish. I have four HST cars 253 001 X 2 and 253 005 X 2 and the older 001 cars have always had dodgy paintwork with 'crazing' or cracking, anyway this has since deteriorated and is now flaking off. I thought I'd mask a section, give it a hit of yellow and look at the colour and finish. It looked distinctly yellow to me at first inspection, but then again, I always thought the factory paint looked a little bit too 'orange'. In the picture below, I've placed it next to one of the 005 cars which never looked as orange, but not as yellow as the new paint. The finish is nice and I think once I've flattened it all down and painted directly over the base blue body coat it should look acceptable.

The Mk3 coach has some deep gouges which need filling and then spraying, the paint test showed a really good match with the BR blue, the finish was matt but this is probably exaggerated when sat next to an area which has been T-cut to remove blemishes. I think most models from this era seemed to be finished in matt BR blue, so all should be well after filling and spraying, I could always polish up the gloss level.

Following the experiments to understand the paints I intend to use, I turned my attention to a Lima Deltic with a busted nose in urgent need of some TLC. No doubt I'd be able to 'patch' it with a brush but thought I'd mask off and 'blow in' the paint using the spray. I think the match is excellent and although the finish initially was quite glossy, I've been able to bring that back to more of a matt finish with some wire wool. I think the initial gloss finish was due to the amount of paint I've had to apply to the area - she had a very bloody nose, and bled yellow! I'm very pleased with the result and the loco now looks immaculate for such little effort. Let's hope I can make the HST cars look presentable too.       

HSTMatch.jpg

Mk3Match.jpg

DelticNose.jpg

DelticNoseAfter.jpg

Edited by APT Fan
typo

Guest Half-full

Great to see someone experimenting, great way to build skills and confidence!

Keep it up!