Farish 47 pick-up problems

Hello all,

I've got a few of the new Farish class 47 models and whilst a couple of them are great runners, 2 are pretty terrible and seem to only be picking up from one bogie. I use insulfrog points and the 2 offending locos tend to sometimes cut out when running slow with a specific bogie over the frog. They can also run a bit jerkily over slightly dirty track.

It might be another problem but I'm pretty sure I remember someone else saying a while ago that their 47s were picking up from one bogie only.

Does anyone know of a cure? I'm sure its pretty simple and I'm quite happy to take the chassis to bits if needs be to get it working, I'd just like a clue as to where to start.

Is it just a simple case of cleaning the pick ups and making sure they're connecting OK or is there something more specific to the 47s?

All my other recent Farish stuff runs very nicely, none of my 37s have a problem at all!

Any advice much appreciated. Apologies if there has been another thread on this, I couldn't find anything with the search facility.

Thanks,

Mike

I don't have a 47 but I assume it's similar to the 66 and 60. If so you can pull the bogie out of the chassis and at the very top of the bogie tower are two metal tabs. These should rub on two brass springs in the underside of the chassis and hence transfer the current. One thing to check is whether there is a rubbing mark in the oil that is usually on the springs, showing that the tabs are in fact making contact.

After removing the bogie it's also easier to check continuity from each tab to the wheels on that side (though I think the middle one may not have a pickup). The actual pickups bear on the back of the outer wheels and may not actually be making contact.

Thanks for that, much appreciated. I'm pretty sure they do but can anyone confirm whether or not the bogies on the new 47 simply pull out?

I'm more used to taking the older mechanisms to bits!

Thanks for that, much appreciated. I'm pretty sure they do but can anyone confirm whether or not the bogies on the new 47 simply pull out?

I'm more used to taking the older mechanisms to bits!

The new (all new tooling that is) Farish 47s bogies do pull out, and just need a gentle tug.

If it's one of the blue or green models the problems you are having are likely due to the grounding out issue known with the first run models, and I addressed this and the ride height issue on old RMweb:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33437&start=200

If it's one of the newest second gen models (IC, Parcels red or LLB) then try fitting additional pickups to the centre wheels, as well as checking the existing pickups are all making good contact - I've done this for all my 47s (both 1st and 2nd gen) and it does help over double slips in particular.

HTH,

Alan

The new (all new tooling that is) Farish 47s bogies do pull out, and just need a gentle tug.

If it's one of the blue or green models the problems you are having are likely due to the grounding out issue known with the first run models, and I addressed this and the ride height issue on old RMweb:

http://www.rmweb.co....33437&start=200

If it's one of the newest second gen models (IC, Parcels red or LLB) then try fitting additional pickups to the centre wheels, as well as checking the existing pickups are all making good contact - I've done this for all my 47s (both 1st and 2nd gen) and it does help over double slips in particular.

HTH,

Alan

Thanks Alan, advice much appreciated. Will have a look at the offending locos this week.

Archived