Seb's Preserved Railway Modelling

Hi all,

I dabble in a bit of preserved modelling. I currently lack the space for a layout but have been using the lockdown as an opportunity for catching up with the locomotive and carriage fleet. My collection spans a vast number of regions and locos and so there is always something different to be working on. Being a fairly young volunteer at the WSR, my soft spot is for Western Region locos. Having been inspired by this forum for many of my locos I thought I'd return the favour hopefully to inspire others.

I'll start off with a few past projects undertaken.

One of my recent challenges has been to bring the Heljan 47xx Night Owl up to standard. This involved a fair bit of work including a full repaint and renumber but I'm happy with the results as seen below. Apologies for the photo quality!

20200507_224357 20200508_213352

I've also been going through my fleet and ensuring they all have real coal, a crew and lamps/discs.

20200503_140846 20200503_140835

Subtle bits of weathering applied to P Class Bluebell to represent the loco as she ran at the SVR Autumn gala in 2017.

20200503_161837

A4 60009 Union of South Africa originally a single chimney example has been renumbered, detailed and weathered, appearing as she did in c.2018/19 where the loco was working so intensively there was limited time to clean her.

Currently working on a A1 to A1X conversion on a Hornby Stepney, 3 x Hornby Castles and a GW H33 Diner (Not strictly preserved but to run in BR(W) displays on the WSR layout of which I'm an operator). Pics to follow...

Any questions ask away!

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Seb, I am in the same boat as you at the moment. No room for a layout but enough stock to fill a shop. During the lock down I have been restoring old Lima and Triang/Hornby loco's to something like their former glory. Been taking great satisfaction in that. Must have done about 10 loco's now. Including 7 GWR engines. 4 small prairies, 2 pannier tanks and a Hall.

• 1 month later...

Recent project of mine has been to convert the Hornby model of Stepney in A1 condition to preserved condition, heavily inspired by Matt Wickham and his Bluebell Model Railway. Using his conversion kit the job was much easier than I anticipated, the scariest bit being the taking a hacksaw to it to remove the A1 smokebox. The photo below shows the loco before modification.

20200515_184548

After removal of handrails and pipes and chimney carefully removed to reuse.

20200515_185030

After many modifications including but not limited to the following: 

- New smokebox

- Dome moved forward to represent later boiler

- Lots of new pipework on the boiler

- Lubricator pots added to front of tanks

- Coal Rails added to bunker

- Cab window rails added

- Air pump removed

- Cabside Number plate transfers from Precision Labels added

20200623_182000 20200623_182126

After these pictures were taken I've added steam heat and vacuum pipes and real coal. A fairly straightforward project which I have enjoyed doing and leaving me with a suitable locomotive for a future preserved railway layout.

Many thanks for viewing, any questions feel free to ask.

Edited by SebWelsh
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 25/05/2020 at 01:42, LNWR18901910 said:

I find this thread very interesting! I even have some preserved examples in my 00 Gauge Pre-Grouping Steam collection. So, which preserved steam, diesel or electric locomotive do you like the most?

Thanks for the interest, my favourite steam loco is 7820 Dinmore Manor, so much so that I have 2 Bachmann models of her and have ordered 3 of the new Dapol ones to replace those and cover the main 3 liveries she has carried in preservation (BR lined Black, BR unlined Black and BR lined Green)

My favourite diesel is probably the Hymeks, I have two of these.

Unfortunately I don't really have an interest in Electric traction

Well at least you did not have to saw it off to move it. That would have been a nightmare to do. I love your models. Wish I had your skill. Mine are more like butchering rather than fine precision compared to yours.