RMweb

MX696 Zimo chip programming

Hi, has anybody had issues programming the larger Zimo 696 chips.  I have 3 fitted to 3 Heljan 0 gauge locos  but am unable to programme the chips using a dedicated programme track and the “USE PROGRAMME TRACK” option on my NCE procab  system.  Any attempts to do so bring up a “ CAN NOT READ “ error message.  I can however programme by using “PROGRAMME ON MAIN” which gets round this but means moving all other locos off the main. One retailer has told me it could be the capacitor that is taking power away from the programme track.  Is this possible, anybody else had this issue?? 

You don't have to remove all other models when programming on the main. POM requires the input of the loco address before programming so others are unaffected, so long as they have a different address - pretty much the main purpose of DCC.

Capacitors can sometimes interfere with programming, though I've not had any problems with PowerCab, which has always been above average for Service Mode Programming. Use POM or temporarily disconnect the cap.

Best regards Paul