Distant or Banner Repeaters?

Hi,

On my bedroom layout, the Southeast Steam Railway, the main station has a very long and tight-curved island platform

Here's an image of the platform, the red arrows mark where the platfrom Starter signals are / will be placed:

post-7271-12566368041302_thumb.jpg

I'm using southern region upper-quadrant semaphore signals.

So the question is should I be using Distant signals or Banner Repeaters (or even both) to display the aspect of the starter signals?

Thanks in advance

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

On my bedroom layout, the Southeast Steam Railway, the main station has a very long and tight-curved island platform

Here's an image of the platform, the red arrows mark where the platfrom Starter signals are / will be placed:

So the question is should I be using Distant signals or Banner Repeaters (or even both) to display the aspect of the starter signals?

Thanks in advance

Simon

Banner repeaters - if anything. As far as I know the Southern didn't use 'hurry-up' distants signals so the only distants around would be those for the next 'box in advance and only then of course as lower arm signals if block sections are short.

Now back to banners. The Southern were regular users of banner repeaters but you need to ask yourself some questions if you are going to reproduce their presence sensibly. For example the signal by the window (to the left) has a reasonably clear view on approach, unless you are going in for more view obstructing stuff on the platform, and on that curve speed of through trains would be low anyway. So I think a banner is unlikely, and where would it be - right back at t'other end of the station so quite a long way from the signal and of no use to the Driver of a train stopping at the station.

Going t'other way things are different with the obstructing bridgework much nearer to the signal so 'yes' a banner on the bridge (there's not really a better site from what I can see) would probably be used. Mind you if all trains stop and the loco is near to the end of the platform the Southern wouldn't have wasted money on a banner but there would probably have been an 'off' indicator to help the platform staff.

Hope that helps.

Addendum - I have just had a quick check through George Pryer's book on Southern signals and there is no reference at all to 'hurry-up distant signals' (or by any other name); I'm sure George would have mentioned them if they had been used by the Southern.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Thanks in advance

Simon

I would be inclined to put a home and a co-acting distance signal at the end of the with a banner repeater signal half way along the platform.

Just one question which is the up line and down line. As it would help if we could see a better idea of what you are doing.

Terry

I would be inclined to put a home and a co-acting distance signal at the end of the with a banner repeater signal half way along the platform.

Just one question which is the up line and down line. As it would help if we could see a better idea of what you are doing.

Terry

Hi,

The line with the Battle of Britain and it's train is the down line and the empty line is the up line

Simon

Archived