Traverser design help needed.

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

I have decided to make a minor change to my track plan by replacing a part of the headshunt with a short traverser.  It's currently a basic shunting layout, however this change will make it easier to swap between two or three short trains.  The change is to take the form a a very short traverser, each road being long enough for a loco and three wagons (approx 21"/525mm in 00 gauge).  This lack of space rules out using pointwork to create a fan of sidings.  The baseboard construction doesn't lend itself to cutting larger holes in it.  I had considered cassettes but prefer the self-contained approach of a traverser.

The challenge is that it will have to sit on top of the shelf that forms the baseboard.  This means that there is only 2.5mm between the surface of the board and the underside of the track (Peco code 100); the difference is the thickness of the cork trackbed, though this can easily be removed..

Any thoughts about a solution?

Many thanks for any help.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Gold

I would be looking to make it from 40thou and 20thou Plastikard (other makes are available and may be easier to source for the length that you need). A bit of lubrication (washing-up liquid) should make it slide smoothly.

Four bolts fixed into the baseboard running in slots in the traverser.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

Thanks for those responses.

By coincidence (!?) I happen to have a couple of spare sheets of 40 thou and 20 thou plasticard, as well as some bolts (M6, I think) that have no use at the present.  Joining up the sheets, with  reinforcement on the top surface, should be straightforward enough.

Again, thanks.

Regards,

Alex.