Steel coils on BAA and BZA wagons

Would anyone happen to know the dimensions of steel coils as carried on BAA type wagons please?

I am interested in the smaller ones of which 4 are normally carried on each wagon.

i have some very thin steel tape which would be ideal for making into OO scale coils. It is 14mm wide which equates to 3 foot 6 or just over a metre. I wasn’t sure if this was too small. Based on a ratio of width to maximum diameter, which I found on line, these could be up to 5 feet in diameter (20mm in OO)

I am keen to load my Bachmann BAA wagons with 4 smaller coils, rather than the three large ones supplied.

Many thanks
John

Hi John

A 10 ton coil would be roughly 4 to 5ft wide or high, with a Depth of 4 to 5 ft.  With the Coil Eye/Bore, could be anything from 1 & 1/2 feet to 2 feet wide. A 28 ton Coil would be  roughly about 6 ft high with a depth of around 5 feet and an bore of around two and a half feet. Coils come in all different sizes. Plus you have to think about the thickness of the actual plate.

I did see an article in Model Railroader a few years ago, the Auther used an appropriately Coloured Sand Paper, cut into long strips and then wound around a pencil to form the Coil. Using PVA to hold it together. Then he used very thin tape to use as the Steel Banding. Then he weathered it

I hope this helps.

Simon

Not sure of the sizes , but can measure the ones I made from thin card cut into strips  rolled around a suitable   sized rod or tube stuck with pritstick , painted with humbrol polished steel,  banding is thin strips of sticky labels painted black or use a permanent marker 

IMG_20160111_194918_2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Simon and Baz,

Many thanks for your information. I am beginning to think that the tape I have is too narrow. Will try some thin plasticard or cardboard. 

Best wishes 

John