Commemorative plaque at Lime Street station

Jim Martin

As a 9 year old, I with my Father attended the memorial service for these men at Edgehill church. The vicar was Eric Tracy who was a keen railway photographer.He went on to become the Bishop of Wakefield and published books of railway 'photos.

See "Lure of Steam" ISBN. 1-85648-205-7.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Michael,

Great to hear from you, and thank you. Cormack was my Great Uncle - my Gran was his sister. Thank you so much for the posting.

Hi Michele my grandfather was cormac Higgins , and my mother ( June ) his daughter said that she remembers seeing the front cover of a local newspaper when she was in her teens of my grandmother holding my mam in her arms as a baby on the platform shortly after the incident,but I cannot find it anywere:-( if anyone can I'd much appreaciate it .
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 year later...

hi.my name is keith robinson.

cormack higgins was my grandfather and is buried at springwood cemetery liverpool

my mother was irene patricia and died on 16/12/2014 and is buried with her dad

information about the accident can be obtained from ASLEF

if any further information is required please feel free to contact me on this site

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 6 years later...
On 09/09/2011 at 23:39, locutus said:

I found this post whilst researching the family tree of my wife whose grandfather was Cormack Higgins.. I am interested in finding out more about Cormack, as both his son and my son both carry this fanily name.

We have always known about the incident which had a traumatic effect on his family, but would appreciate any information as to why no record seems to occur anywhere of the accident. We are also not even sure where and when Cormack actually died.

As to the idea that any medal was awarded, I am completely in the dark ,as no record of one exists.

Hi locutos I’m Colin ,cormack was my grandad, is anything known of what happened to grandma ? Mam I’m sure said she met another man soon after ? Just wondering what ever happened to her.

On 25/11/2012 at 19:59, Michael Ball said:

I am delighted to have come across this forum, albeit a little late. Driver Joseph Ball was my Grandfather. I have a number of press cuttings from the day of the accident and from the days on which Joseph & Cormack died and a number of press cutting extolling them both as heroes. I also have the telegram sent to my grandmother from LMS informing her of the accident. I recently found a reference to the accident in the book ‘Derail’ 1998 by Nicholas Faith, of which I have since found a copy. Thank you all for your interest in the plaque and the story behind it. I am very proud of my grandfather Joseph & his mate Cormack.

Hello Michael im Colin, Cormack was my grandfather , I’m really interested into what happened on that day and there after, I’d absolutely love for you to contact me and show me some of the press cuttings .As you said details about the accident is sketchy. Thank you . 

Edited by Colin ager