TIP: Hornby Dublo - motor stalling in one direction

97xx

Thought I'd post this in case of value to others, as I don't recall seeing it mentioned elsewhere.

Going through my HD collection during the recent lockdown I came across a 2-6-4 tank which I had from new (and so know the history). It was always a fine and quiet runner. It's not been run for probably 30 years.

What I found was that it moved off smoothly in one direction but in the other it stalled until a fair bit of power applied before it moved away with a bit of a start. Then appeared to run smoothly and fine.

All cleaned and serviced, remained the same. Loosening the gear grubscrews showed freely turning motion, no quartering issues and so on.

SOLUTION: it turned out that the horseshoe poles were not centred on the armature, resulting in one possibly *just* rubbing. Loosening the large cheesehead screw and nut, and re-centring the poles produced a perfectly smooth and progressive start and run in each direction.

I hadn't appreciated that there was so much potential for maladjustment of the poles - you would be forgiven for thinking that 'doing it all up' centred them on the armature by design. Not so!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 97xx said:

Thought I'd post this in case of value to others, as I don't recall seeing it mentioned elsewhere.

Going through my HD collection during the recent lockdown I came across a 2-6-4 tank which I had from new (and so know the history). It was always a fine and quiet runner. It's not been run for probably 30 years.

What I found was that it moved off smoothly in one direction but in the other it stalled until a fair bit of power applied before it moved away with a bit of a start. Then appeared to run smoothly and fine.

All cleaned and serviced, remained the same. Loosening the gear grubscrews showed freely turning motion, no quartering issues and so on.

SOLUTION: it turned out that the horseshoe poles were not centred on the armature, resulting in one possibly *just* rubbing. Loosening the large cheesehead screw and nut, and re-centring the poles produced a perfectly smooth and progressive start and run in each direction.

I hadn't appreciated that there was so much potential for maladjustment of the poles - you would be forgiven for thinking that 'doing it all up' centred them on the armature by design. Not so!

One of the things I love about older mechanisms: the opportunity to tinker with simpler engineering :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Yes, this must be the biggest 'problem' I've had with all my HD/Wrenn stuff. Not the last word in fidelity, but no zinc pest, wobbly wheels, broken plastics, graunchy gears and so on...