Help with track plan

1 hour ago, Grovenor said:

Perhaps the way to deal with the removable fiddle yard is to fix it to sky (ceiling) hooks so it can be raised up above head height when out of use. Same priciple as old style clothes airer and use some sash window weights as counterbalance.

Thanks for the suggestion, Sounds like a good idea but the ceiling in the room is very low and is just over 6ft high.

Edited by Joeh260
Incorrect Spelling

On 21/06/2020 at 15:57, The Johnster said:

I've run ancient 1960s Triang wheels successfully on current code 100 Peco Streamline, including turnouts, a couple of shorty GW clerestories which were re-wheeled afterwards anyway.  Recently acquired a Dock Authority shunter which gibbed at both Streamline and Setrack flangeways but this turned out to be a back to back issue easily solved by a bit of gratuitous brutality with an old screwdriver.  It now runs faultlessly, and manages my insulfrogs effortlessly.  Code 75 is another story, I reckon.  Any 'modern' stock should run ok on it, but I'd be wary of anything pre-90s, and doubt that 80s Lima will manage,  Rolling stock wheels can be easily enough replaced, except Hornby 'design clever' period, but those are recent enough to be ok anyway, but locos may be more difficult to convert to the required standard.  Turning the flanges down on a lathe if you have one or something that can be used as one such as a minidrill in a vice might be feasible, but might need a lot of cleaning up to achieve smooth running.  I'd be reluctant to turn them down in the chassis as filings will get everywhere!

It’s probably better if I put the older locomotives away. I think by the time I end up getting the chance to adjust them to modern standards I will have purchased newer stock. It seems like too much work and they may end up being damaged in the process.

Still unsure if adding a second level will be a good idea yet as under the layout is being used for storage. Also would adding a second layer restrict me from running longer trains due to the weight?

have been looking at ways of using wheels on the fiddle yard and if I am able to use Some sort of adjustable legs it may possible to store it. My main concern is when moving the fiddle yard is the rolling stock likely to roll off? Is the any way to hold them in place?

Edited by Joeh260

9 minutes ago, Joeh260 said:

Still unsure if adding a sections level will be a good idea yet as under the layout is being used for storage. Also would adding a second layer restrict me from running longer trains due to the weight?

Trailing it is probably really the only way to find out. This thread might help https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/92303-model-railway-gradients/

• RMweb Gold

Hi Joe,

So have I got this right? The room is used as a corridor, the floor is not level, the ceiling is only 6ft above the floor and the room is full of hot water pipes.

Are there any windows? Are there electrical power sockets? Lighting?

Could you post some photos so we can understand the space?

On 22/06/2020 at 18:12, Joeh260 said:

have been looking at ways of using wheels on the fiddle yard and if I am able to use Some sort of adjustable legs it may possible to store it. My main concern is when moving the fiddle yard is the rolling stock likely to roll off? Is the any way to hold them in place?

You could have ends on the FY, just plywood dropping into a couple of slots one each side of the rails. I have one which pops up when my lifting section is up which is 99% successful.

Maybe a wheeled FY could have some guide rails on the floor you could drop in to guide it in place?  

6ft ceiling?  Non starter for me,  nowhere for the bobble on my bobble hat and my son is 6ft 2"  I'd have to operate from one of those 5 wheeled rotating office chairs.  Best of luck.

19 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Hi Joe,

So have I got this right? The room is used as a corridor, the floor is not level, the ceiling is only 6ft above the floor and the room is full of hot water pipes.

Are there any windows? Are there electrical power sockets? Lighting?

Could you post some photos so we can understand the space?

Thanks for the reply, The room does not get used as a corridor, the floor is not very level, the ceiling is just over 6ft and the room has got water and gas pipes throughout as the boiler and gas meter are both in there. Plus the main circuit board is also in there. plenty of power sockets in there and two lights.

On 22/06/2020 at 18:24, Butler Henderson said:

Trailing it is probably really the only way to find out. This thread might help https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/92303-model-railway-gradients/

Have looked at ways of doing the gradients and the space it will require. It is still possible to add a second layer to the layout. However the room will need fully sorting out before that could happen. Sill looking into the second layer and I’ll try to sort the room out over the next few days to see if it’s possible. 

19 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

You could have ends on the FY, just plywood dropping into a couple of slots one each side of the rails. I have one which pops up when my lifting section is up which is 99% successful.

Maybe a wheeled FY could have some guide rails on the floor you could drop in to guide it in place?  

6ft ceiling?  Non starter for me,  nowhere for the bobble on my bobble hat and my son is 6ft 2"  I'd have to operate from one of those 5 wheeled rotating office chairs.  Best of luck.

Perhaps if a second layer isn’t possible just adding slots on the fiddle yard and blocking the ends for moving May be the alternate option. The height of the room isn’t ideal, It’s because it’s in the basement. It’s very low in that room considering all of the upstairs rooms have high ceilings of 10-11ft.