The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

One Square

mozzer models

Martin, I had already seen them on Google Streetview - I should have said that. I think they're associated with the 'Works' at their eastern end, but I can't find out what those are.

Edit - I've just seen your edit on your previous post. So - it appears that there are bogies on the tracks that support the pipelines. Presumably, they are pushed westwards up the track as the pipeline lengthens. That would also explain why the tracks are dead straight. Very interesting - thank you.

• RMweb Gold

Martin, I had already seen them on Google Streetview - I should have said that. I think they're associated with the 'Works' at their eastern end, but I can't find out what those are.

Hi Peter,

Geograph was offline. Now it's back, the tracks are/were used for the assembly of undersea pipeline (picture dated 2003): http://www.geograph....uk/photo/354508

There is a works at the other end of the tracks, described thus in 2004:

A charming locality it isn't - on the left is an enclosure bristling with electrical plant, and on the right is what looks like a comely cottage but for the signboard "Hastigrow Fabrication Facility" that adorns it. A track into the corner of the forest is guarded by security fences and is plied by men wearing hard hats and driving all-terrain Landrovers - I don't know the full story but this unlikely spot does appear to be where the local water authority does some of its heavier pipeline construction.

Oil, not water. More info: http://www.subsea7.com/cms/files/File/Wick_Base_(FSS)(2).pdf

From which:

Established in 1978, Subsea 7’s

Pipeline Bundle Fabrication Site is

located 6 miles north of the town of

Wick, Caithness in the far North of

Scotland. This unique site runs 7.8km

inland, covers a total area in excess of

300,000m² and has a sheltered bay in

which to launch the Pipeline Bundles.

The site has four separate railway tracks, which total 27200m, on

which dedicated bogies run. These are used for the movement of

pipes and pipeline bundles.

Track 1 length: 7700m

Track 2 length: 7700m

Track 3 length: 6000m

Track 4 length: 5800m

Martin.

Clue – this line was closed and mostly lifted after less than 20 years of service. It was later re-laid, but lasted for an even shorter time before being closed for good. In the meantime, it was used in the making of a couple of films.

Clue - this was on what became a joint line, very close to where the two companies who originally built the line made an end-on junction.