Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

One Square

mozzer models

Clue - 5 to 6 kms northeast of this point on the railway there is a replica of an Eleanor Cross - there was never an original one there.

• RMweb Gold

Well, I'm learning stuff again....

The square is in the Yorkshire Wolds, the replica Eleanor Cross is at Sledmere

post-6864-127842542484.jpg

Zoomed out - we are to the west of Driffield

post-6864-127842548292.jpg

As I don't get these right very often, you'll have to bear with me while I find another square to set wink.gif

Clue – this is a mainline, passing through the town in this square and also a city further east. There is another, secondary line connecting this town and city. Part of this secondary line closed to passengers in 1964, but the line remained open for freight and diversions. Passenger service was restored over the whole length of this line in 2005.

If you follow the road eastwards from this square for about a mile you come to a T-junction with a trunk road which has a Roman name as well as an A number. At the junction is a Hotel which in the 1960's was called a Motel and was reputedly used as the basis for the Crossroads TV series.

The railway line is part of a longer distance route which has been undergoing gauge improvements over the last few years to allow larger containers to be moved.