Wills Good shed CK15

Ive been thinking of getting a slightly smaller good shed for my layout and i was looking at this kit shown Here (no link to signal box just an appropriate image of the building) but i was wondering is this kit made of willis sheets i have to cut to size or does it come in ready formed parts on the sprue? hope this makes sense Many thanks in advance Tom

• RMweb Premium

The advantage of having to cut the sheets is that you can adapt the kit to suit your requirements or just change the style a bit, rather than just build a "standard" goods shed.

If you can live with the slightly overscale detail on the brick sheets in particular, I'd recommend Wills sheets every time for smaller buildings.

Wills kits are not for the faint hearted. They are as close to scratchbuilding as you can get, and the plastic walls are thick, and not easily cut. I have always ended up thinking it would have been easier to build from scratch.

That said, they do make up into really nice models.

Wills kits are not for the faint hearted. They are as close to scratchbuilding as you can get, and the plastic walls are thick, and not easily cut. I have always ended up thinking it would have been easier to build from scratch.

That said, they do make up into really nice models.

Well i have built alot of kits so the challenge would be nice but does it not come with some sort of guide or template to show where to cut or do you have to mark it all out yourself?

They come with full instructions and guides as where to cut. You will need a steel rule and a heavy craft knife (Such as 'Stanley'). Also a Set Square makes things a bit easier. I did one a couple of years ago after a diet of card and plastic and was rather pleased with the result even if I do say so myself.

They come with full instructions and guides as where to cut. You will need a steel rule and a heavy craft knife (Such as 'Stanley'). Also a Set Square makes things a bit easier. I did one a couple of years ago after a diet of card and plastic and was rather pleased with the result even if I do say so myself.

Thanks Pondy i do have all the tools might even get the dremel out to do it with a slitting disc:blink::lol:

Nick dont worry i have a whole list of self injury caused from a vareity of things including standard 4 clack valves while watering up

Thanks Pondy i do have all the tools might even get the dremel out to do it with a slitting disc:blink::lol:

Nick dont worry i have a whole list of self injury caused from a vareity of things including standard 4 clack valves while watering up

Hi, I can't believe that no one has come up with a commercial tool based on my own design of plastic sheet cutter. Made from an 'all hard' hacksaw blade it was originally used to cut 1/4" Perspex for boat windows and the like, carefully ground up, observing the clearances it can be brought back to razor sharpness by one slight grind off the front edge.

The usual caveats about grinding on the side face of emery wheels hardly apply, only the very finest of cuts is needed to give the necessary side-cutting rake.

For curved cuts, a card template, or a coin etc can be stuck down with a little contact adhesive or double sided sticky tape. Once a very light cut has been made around the pattern just follow carefully in the 'track'. A clean, sqaure cut is easily made, and 'matchboard' siding for buildings quickly prodiced

post-106-127463108784_thumb.jpg

post-106-127463107341_thumb.jpg

I hope this helps someone!

Doug

Archived