Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold

Bankrupcy looms!

Nyda has just got two Wales v Portugal tickets off the RWC 2023 Official resale site.

This match is in Nice.

I think she is now on the prowl for some Fiji tickets (Bordeaux).

Jamie had better watch out as there is the risk of mission creep.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

50 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Please get the correct extremity. Dave can get quite touchy about it.

Apparently he's been like it since he was a nipper!

Whilst not wishing to be too nit picking Big H, but at least all, as far as I'm aware, the Squadron leaders appendages are still intact unlike someone's else's eh Big H.

We northerners, even one who is an ex scouser like to stick together you know.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Cripes, I'm on my fourth and fifth wedding rings - two destroyed working - should know better - and one I think I packed into a live steam loco I was sending from Trackshack.   I had it on that morning, finished r/c-ing the loco, wrapped up in its cocoon (anyone that has bought an Accucraft loco will understand) and....there it was gone. Noticed just after the parcels were collected. Pah.

I now have a placeholder cheap one, and a one for best, locally made and engraved with Celtic and Manx motifs.  Not cheap. A gift from Mrs NHN.  39 years down, next month.

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Cripes, I'm on my fourth and fifth wedding rings - two destroyed working - should know better - and one I think I packed into a live steam loco I was sending from Trackshack.   I had it on that morning, finished r/c-ing the loco, wrapped up in its cocoon (anyone that has bought an Accucraft loco will understand) and....there it was gone. Noticed just after the parcels were collected. Pah.

I now have a placeholder cheap one, and a one for best, locally made and engraved with Celtic and Manx motifs.  Not cheap. A gift from Mrs NHN.  39 years down, next month.

I suspect that somewhere, there is a gormless loon, still trying to figure out how to fit the exhaust jumper ring and how it stays put around the blastpipe in the smokebox.

12 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Yes that might be true but they are intact 

I'm sure there is a cryptic message there somewhere, but I can't quite put my finger on it

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I suspect that somewhere, there is a gormless loon, still trying to figure out how to fit the exhaust jumper ring and how it stays put around the blastpipe in the smokebox.

Probably thinks it is a spare spectacle rim - they always fall out on Accucraft generic locos!

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

5 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

But do the women still drive from the passenger seat?

Dave

My good wife certainly considers this an amusing way to pass a journey. She very rarely drives these days due to health issues and even when she did, I had little confidence in her driving (or parking, come to that) so I don't appreciate this in the slightest. 

Fortunately she usually nods off after half an hour or so. 

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Probably thinks it is a spare spectacle rim - they always fall out on Accucraft generic locos!

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, polybear said:

Did you go down on one paw when presenting it back to Mrs. H?

I went one better and held on to it until our wedding anniversary when I presented it to her. Went down a treat it did.

Dave

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 4

57 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

My good wife certainly considers this an amusing way to pass a journey. She very rarely drives these days due to health issues and even when she did, I had little confidence in her driving (or parking, come to that) so I don't appreciate this in the slightest. 

Fortunately she usually nods off after half an hour or so. 

I find I make a nervous passenger with Mrs SM42.

To combat this I look out of the side window and try  to relax into a floppy attitude  to help with bouncing if needed. 

Alcohol helps. 

I am nervous as every time I wash her car I find there has been an exchange of paint with some unfortunate object. 

I don't think it helps me  that I get the feeling she seems  to drive with more confidence than I think she has in reality when I'm in the car. 

Don't ask why I think  this. It comes from knowing her for 17 years and I  sense she is not in her comfort zone.

I noticed a sudden up tick in bravado 6 or 7 years ago and I can't help feeling she does it cos I'm in the car.  This occurred not long after she mentioned not having the same  confidence as me when driving. 

I could be wrong of course and I'm being very unfair to her, or she might need new glasses. 

Regardless she is very good at driving home from parties.

A talent for which I am grateful.

Andy

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Please get the correct extremity. Dave can get quite touchy about it.

Apparently he's been like it since he was a nipper!

I wondered why I was moved sideways when I was in the RAF.

Dave

• Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rockershovel said:

I had little confidence in her driving (or parking, come to that).......she usually nods off after half an hour or so. 

That's certainly one of the best reasons for not letting her drive...

Dave

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Quite a few brownie points earned this evening. About midday Jill said that she didn't know what we were going to have for dinner tonight and did I have any ideas so quick as a flash I suggested going to one of our favourite restaurants and booked there and then. It's cost about half a Deltic but oh, boy was it worthwhile!

Dave 

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 4

This evening dinner, in honour of the SiL's birthday was finished off with chocolate brownie with raspberry sauce and ice cream.

I make that a full house of cake at every meal today 😀

Andy

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium

Gosh, I didn't realise you could buy RWC tickets with wine. Would a bottle of Moet Chandon get some good seats then?

Dave

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

I'm sure there is a cryptic message there somewhere, but I can't quite put my finger on it

Helps of course if you have a full set that are all intact. I seem to recall that you lost the tip of one of yours. Your really must be more careful with them Big H especially as they are not interchangeable like soldering iron ones.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I make that a full house of cake at every meal today 😀

So that's three pieces of one cake and two pieces of another at each meal? Gosh, PB and HH have a serious rival!

Dave

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

On 17/02/2023 at 22:08, polybear said:
On 17/02/2023 at 21:34, SM42 said:

I've got a half roll of roofing felt to donate to Shed Aid

Andy

Bear can do quite a lot of roofing felt nails......and some door hinges & padlock.

I'm about to demolish a shed, that or catch the bits that come off in the next storm!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

This match is in Nice.

That's nice.

My parents went to Nice for their 40th wedding anniversary - my mother had said she wanted to go somewhere nice. For their honeymoon, they had a week in Bath and a week in Looe.

So you get a sense of their humour...

• Like 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

So that's three pieces of one cake and two pieces of another at each meal? Gosh, PB and HH have a serious rival!

Dave

We have been hearing rumours about @SultanaMuffin42 for some time.

But he is not a rival, and will become a valuable ally.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Bankrupcy looms!

Nyda has just got two Wales v Portugal tickets off the RWC 2023 Official resale site.

This match is in Nice.

Jamie had better watch out as there is the risk of mission creep.

There are plenty of places to stay along the coast from Nice with an excellent  train service. Cannes La Bocca is very good.

As to Bordeaux,  it was foggy heading there this morning for an encounter with Sleezyjet.  Despite an hours delay whilst they reconciled the baggage we got us safely to Lanzagrotty.

Ttfn.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1