The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where to Stay in London

MEGair

Hi from Australia,

My wife and I are planing a trip to the UK for April-May 2011 for about 28 days. There will possibly only 1 or 2 days that do not have some train stuff on, whether its a preserved line, a model shop or club visit, etc. Of course we plan to visit a palace or two. Some large manors have model railways so I have planned a visit to one of these.

We plan to stay in London for 4 nights before leaving for France on the Eurostar early morning, possibly the 6.20am.

What I am wondering is, does anyone know of a reasonably priced place to stay near Kings Cross/St Pancras? We have been looking also around Highbury & Islington as we have both stayed there on seperate ocassions (20 years ago). Can anyone help?

We have checked about a dozen websites. Also I plan to visit the Model Railway Club (near Kings Cross) on a thursday night, so will like it to be close.

thanks for any assistance

Mark

Thanks guys for your help.

We have looked at the BHRC site, and found possibly one Regents Park Residence. Since we are nearly 12 months away, I will contact about deals and availability. I will check the travelodge and Royal Scot too.

We have changed the itinery and will not be leaving so early now, so does not matter so much. This tends to happen.

Mark

Guest dilbert

An American colleague of mine last year asked for assistance in booking Eurostar tickets for a return London/Paris - he economised about €300 on ticket fares for his family by booking from the French website rather than the UK site for the same trains, dates & times...dilbert

• RMweb Premium

I'd endorse the Travelodge - but also there's a number of Premier Inns in the London area too, and they are much the same - I guess that parking is not an issue for you, and if you use one of these chains, you'll find that they don't offer parking at some locations, or if they do, it's at a price, or is provided by an outside agency like NCP.

If you do find yourself on a very early start, don't forget that the tube doesn't run as frequently before 6, so if you have to be at St Pancras early (I know you said that may not be the case), then you may find that Shanks' pony is the best option.

Let us know what you're up to as well, as it may be that some of us are going to be at the same events, and meeting in the flesh would be a pleasant experience.

If you do find yourself on a very early start, don't forget that the tube doesn't run as frequently before 6, so if you have to be at St Pancras early (I know you said that may not be the case), then you may find that Shanks' pony is the best option.

You may also find shanks' pony a good option in the middle of the day. Central London is much more compact than other capital cities of the world, visitors often believe the famous tube map is drawn close to scale, which is a very long way from the truth. Walk if its fine and see more sights on the way.

• RMweb Premium

We use Ibis Euston quite a lot. It's off the main Euston Road by the West side of Euston station - 10 minutes walk from St Pancras. We've found that there's little traffic noise as it's not on the main road. It's even better if you ask for a room at the back of the hotel. Breakfast is good as well.

Hi there!

Familiar territory for me as work sends me down to the steaming metropolis on more occasions than I would like!!!!!!!!

Steer well clear of the Travel Lodge Marleybone. Unless of course you are avid room cleaners and travel with your own compendium of bleaches and disinfectants. The Travel Bodge Kings Cross fairs a little better, but is quite basic. The Premier Binn Euston isn't a bad one at all. Nice enough rooms and for reasons I can't quite put my finger on Premier Inn do fit their rooms out with very comfy beds (and I've tried about thirty different Premier Binn's I can tell you). Good standard of cleanliness also. Though the building still retains it's office block feel (as that is what it was converted from).

As an alternative you could try chancing your arm with one of the big hotels. The Lancaster London (Bayswater Rd, by Hyde Park, also seen in the film "The Italian Job") Do offer some pretty spectacular room only rates. I've paid £95 a night for a double, but without breakfast. That might seem a bit extra in comparison to around £75 for a Travel Bodge. But sometimes proper toiletries, fluffy towels and a man in a hat to open the door for you can be quite relaxing.

The Hyde Park Thistle have been known to hand out the odd deal also. Again these tend to be room only and Breakfast, at the the Lanc. Can come in at a hefty £20 each (though great view of the park). But a cheaper, better breakfast can be found at all manner of eateries spitting distance from where ever you stay.

What I would do is check that your stay doesn't coincide with some really major London event, otherwise don't be afraid to leave it until a week or two before to go bargain hunting!

Don't forget.... That while in London, you might find it difficult to understand some of the accents that you come across in cafe's shops etc, but rest assured you will always get "begged" in proper Queens English!

Thanks all for the tips.

We have selected a couple of hotels/B&B's within the Kings X area. As we are Aussie we speak the Queens english, but will probably find it harder in say Liverpool & Newcastle upon Tyne. It will come down probably to words for things that we have another word for, or don't have a word for, such as 'a bacon bottie' (not sure if correct spelling) not that we'd buy one either.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Steer well clear of anywhere in the Victoria station area costing £40 per night! I stayed in one such room one night and it was a right dive. The place was filthy, the bed was sloping to one corner and I believed that hotel gets raided by the vice squad every so often, it had that atmosphere. The £40 quid included a continental breakfast but I did not want to risk it so I checked out early saying,"I've a train to catch" which was true.

Archived