Signalling for Banff, Scotland

4 hours ago, Martin Shaw said:

Yes, it's signal 5 on the diagram, typical and common in Scotland, Stevens flap ground signal. They were often painted white to help prevent staff tripping over them in the dark.

Many thanks Martin.   :good_mini:

I had been looking for ground signals and levers in the stills I have of the site, but without luck, so it was very good to catch a glimpse in one of the videos.  Even better to learn what I was seeing.

That's another crevice in my knowledge filled!!

Edit: I can see them now that I know what i'm looking for :rolleyes:

Edited by aardvark
just seen a ground signal
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a view of the approach into Banff looking "down" towards Tillynaught.

img190d.jpg.c6451b2ed7a641d0720a1def82a474bc.jpg

In the centre-distance is the arrivals signals 15, 14 and 13 (l to r): 13 is on a shorter doll.

Also visible in the image, from left, appears to be the white ground lever for the engine shed point, and ground signal 15.  On the right, close to the base of  the (power?) pole is a different style of ground lever for 3-way goods turnout, shown in the signalling diagram as two distinct turnouts.  A little further out is ground signal 8.

Edited by aardvark
manually restored lost images
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, aardvark said:

Here's a view of the approach into Banff looking "down" towards Tillynaught.

post-27387-0-63902100-1470221091.jpg

In the centre-distance is the arrivals signals 15, 14 and 13 (l to r): 13 is on a shorter doll.

Also visible in the image, from left, appears to be the white ground lever for the engine shed point, and ground signal 15.  On the right, close to the base of  the (power?) pole is a different style of ground lever for 3-way goods turnout, shown in the signalling diagram as two distinct turnouts.  A little further out is ground signal 8.

There is another point lever just in front, and to the right, of ground signal 8, for the further set of blades of the tandem goods turnout which lead to the LH of the three roads (as seen in the photo).

• Like 1

I think you're right.

I think this photo shows the same lever, from the other side ...

532311114_B1and76xxx-crop.jpg.6319b42371a634822c6c273ff30125a8.jpg

I've only just recognised that that was what it was.  I just thought it was something hanging off the K2's buffer beam :unsure:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, aardvark said:

I think you're right.

I think this photo shows the same lever, from the other side ...

532311114_B1and76xxx-crop.jpg.6319b42371a634822c6c273ff30125a8.jpg

I've only just recognised that that was what it was.  I just thought it was something hanging off the K2's buffer beam :unsure:

And I think that the back of the ground signal "flap" just creeps into that photo too, to the immediate right of the tank (standard 4MT?) loco's buffer beam.

• Like 1