Cant Rails or should that be Can't rails?

That damn orange line is a PITA and so often I see models with dodgy cant rails, (including on my own) with decal stripes over panel lines and door shuts or even extending over the roof ends  or where it looks like a dogs hind leg was used as a straight edge.  I have tried various methods with some success and some failures. I recently posted some pics of some 50 resprays where I did the cant rails with a bow pen as they would be weathered quite heavily but on this 37057 I wanted a fairly pristine finish. I was hoping to post this on my workbench thread but couldn't work out how ( any suggestions appreciated - as long as it doesn't involve it copying all the previous night pictures again!).

Thought the following pics may be of use to fellow sufferers with the CAN'T rail problem!

I started off with the windscreen surrounds, couple of problems here as on the real loco the stripe under the windscreen seems to meet the one coming down  at a point. Following the lines on the mode I ended up with a squarer version but didn't have a lot of choice. I used Fox orange stripe for the cant rails, all other numbers courtesy of Railtec. The Fox stripes can take a lot of softening with Microsol and micro set to get them to adhere.

Here I have used short strips of decal to get them into the edges round the door and the aforementioned nose and gutter

IMG_8097.JPG.fc33892b69a90de1313d78317eeaf5d6.JPG

Here it is trimmed, don't like the flat bottom under the window frame but not much option due to the shape..

IMG_8098.JPG.0e3f30b81324c0df3b795e877cd18140.JPG

I repeated the process of little strips to get the sections across the roof grills and then laid a long strip of decal to join up with the line round the cab

IMG_0693.jpg.5d660607dd1496af0b0985a7bd58829c.jpg

Any excess is cut with a scalpel blade when it has dried. Next up were the numbers, data panels and OHLE flashes all included on the Railtec sheet

IMG_8096.JPG.891de6f6707d0db8916b0428eb32af7d.JPG

I managed to alter that cab end junction to get a better point on the line but the nodel varies from end to end as when you follow the curves it meets in a different place - nope I haven't figured that out either! Still managed to get a slightly wonky line in the long section of decal somehow... Anyway here's the finished article with a light weathering applied to finish it off.

833719459_37057side.jpg.7bf141afedd83c1f530cb127764d09f4.jpg

057.jpg.82aebb102c5d67926a1d62c9ced60b3a.jpg

37057.jpg

• Like 3