Nottingham - Midland Railway

MarshLane

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

does anyone happen to know if Midland Record or the Midland Railway Society (or any other title) covered Nottingham Midland station pre-grouping? I know there was Nottingham Goods in the MR Preview, but it’s the station specifically.

As ever, any help is appreciated.

Rich

• RMweb Premium

Not much in Midland Record, I'm afraid - a two-page article on signalling by Tony Overton in No. 20. There is a plan of the new station (1904) in Midland Railway Society Journal No. 64. Evidently a topic crying out for some original research!

Putting "Nottingham" or "Nottingham station" into the Midland Railway Study Centre catalogue search turns up a wealth of information, much relating to the building of the new station, including downloadable architects' drawings and plans and numerous photos - as thumbnails only but copies should be available from Kidderminster once...

What's your particular interest?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Not much in Midland Record, I'm afraid - a two-page article on signalling by Tony Overton in No. 20. There is a plan of the new station (1904) in Midland Railway Society Journal No. 64. Evidently a topic crying out for some original research!

What's your particular interest?

Thanks Stephen,

I had, ironically, just discovered MRS Journal 64 and the plan this evening. I may have to join the MRS I think, could be useful for my current thinking!

Primarily looking for track work and signalling, plus a bit of architecture - long term project if things work out.  But I will search out MR No. 20, that sounds useful.  One of about 12 editions of MR I don't have - typical!

Thanks again.

Rich

• RMweb Premium

I fear the Society has sold out of its stock of No. 20

FYI, the article in No. 20 is illustrated by two photos of signal gantries that are in the Study Centre's collection - search the catalogue!

As a member myself, I would thoroughly recommend joining the Society

Edited by Compound2632
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Stephen,

Application submitted to join! I had thought about doing it earlier in the year and trying to get down to the study centre, but then the world had other ideas. Very early days, but throwing ideas around for an MR 1920 (ie pre-Grouping) layout ... if I could ever make my mind up it would help!

Possibly thinking one part could be Nottingham, or a representation. Lots of thoughts to go through yet, and learning more about the locos of the period - been amazed by the MR since I came across a copy of the Preview Edition of MR a couple of years back. Small locos, smaller trains, unique architecture ... all seems to fit well for a model, except the thought of building everything, so something akin to Clay Cross might yet be a better option for the first part. 

Rich

• Like 1