Photo's of Waterloo west sidings help.

simon b

• RMweb Gold

Hi all, does anyone have any pics of the old western sidings at London Waterloo? These were where the current Waterloo international platforms are now. 

I'm particularly interested in the old hoist for the Waterloo and City line. 

Cheers.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SED Freightman said:

This photo of the Armstrong Lift taken on 17/05/1988 might be of interest.  As an aside I always knew the adjacent sidings as Waterloo North Sdgs, being the opposite side of the line to the South Sidings, perhaps someone could confirm the correct name.

1453577462_1988_05.171596RPUBWaterlooNorthSdgs-ViewofArmstrongLiftservingWCLineatendofplat21line.jpg.413d2da5bcc0d54cafd166f338317cd9.jpg

Thanks for that, exactly what I need. 

I've heard the sidings referred to as both north and west, North makes more sense to me but I wonder if it's a hang over from the other sidings that used to exist slightly further out.

Anyone know or have pics of what was behind the hoist? looks like some covered walkways to something?

Inside the 'shed ' on top were 4 bloomin great big hydraulic pistons, each had a chain that ran down to the deck, the arrangement was know as 'Jigger type ' so I was told, so that the deck could reach down to the W&C line below.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Didn't one walkway cross the road into the Shell building, and the other emerge through a parade of shops onto the station side of the road?

It's been a while since I was there, but I think the walkway across the road is still there. Looks like I've got some digging to do!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 73c said:

Inside the 'shed ' on top were 4 bloomin great big hydraulic pistons, each had a chain that ran down to the deck, the arrangement was know as 'Jigger type ' so I was told, so that the deck could reach down to the W&C line below.

I'd love to know how deep it was, I've seen pics of an m7 and some coal wagons which had fallen down it!

The Armstrong Lift had a 41ft rise. Next time you use the W&C, you can get a clear feel for the height difference from the  escalator down from the main concourse to the circulating area near the Underground ticket office and the slope from there down to the W&C platform ......... its a lot shallower than the other tubes, which is why the tunnels have such a gradient to get under the river.

There are several images on Britain from above showing glimpses of the area pre and post WW1, including one with the R101 flying over. 

This one is very interesting, because it shows the latter stages of construction of the Festival of Britain https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW035675 If you look carefully, you can see what I think is an Indian railways WG Class loco being exhibited.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4

If you look just in front of the right hand leg, there's a small grey box with a dark grey splodge on it, that was the control panel and just out of sight is the locking arm for when it was at the top.

It was powered by water from the London Hydraulic Company and at some point converted but I can't remember if it was still water from a tank or oil.

The capstans may also have been water powered.

Below there's a black door with yellow railing's, that was the entrance to the CM&EE Lighting Dept.

If you stood with the BRUT behind you, under the arch to the right was the Plans arch, to the left the Lamp arch and I believe around there somewhere, was the Dead arch used during WW1.

Below where the photo is taken, there's a road that I think took you out onto Leake street, roughly were the car park is now.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

And, IIRC, that little yard was accessible with vans, and was where petrol cans filled using the company payment card were surreptitiously transferred from the back of the van into the boots of people’s cars.

Although that might have been another secluded little yard nearby.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

21 hours ago, simon b said:

It's been a while since I was there, but I think the walkway across the road is still there. Looks like I've got some digging to do!

The walkway does still cross York Road, but was closed for a long period whilst the Shell Upstream Building (Large L shaped office block in the aerial photo) was demolished.  There are some rather unsavoury steps down from the walkway to York Road where it passes beneath Elizabeth House and newer open air stairs on the Waterloo Station side of York Road, the latter may have been provided when the older passageway from the station concourse to York Road was abolished as part of the International Station development.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 20/07/2020 at 19:27, 73c said:

If you look just in front of the right hand leg, there's a small grey box with a dark grey splodge on it, that was the control panel and just out of sight is the locking arm for when it was at the top.

It was powered by water from the London Hydraulic Company and at some point converted but I can't remember if it was still water from a tank or oil.

The capstans may also have been water powered.

Below there's a black door with yellow railing's, that was the entrance to the CM&EE Lighting Dept.

If you stood with the BRUT behind you, under the arch to the right was the Plans arch, to the left the Lamp arch and I believe around there somewhere, was the Dead arch used during WW1.

Below where the photo is taken, there's a road that I think took you out onto Leake street, roughly were the car park is now.

Many thanks for that, answers alot of questions.  

I could see double yellow no parking lines in some of the pics so guessed there was road access somehow. Till you said about them I hadn't even noticed the capstans!

That is very detailed, and I think that "by subtraction" it confirms my memory of some of the cars still being green, and with "southern railways" cast into the interior end vent grilles, well into the 1970s. I remember how terribly fragile the" vulcanised india rubber" interior wiring on them became over the years - I had a task re-designing the "shore supply" connections on them and one of the depot staff stood over me while I took measurements in the equipment cabinet of one car, terrified that I would knock a wire and send a shower of brittle insulation all over the place, putting the car out of service (luckily I didn't).

• Like 3

I was there in 78 and remember seeing one that still had a Southern Railway pair of covers. They looked kinda odd, the 'S ' being about 3'' at one end and the 'N ' being about 6 maybe 7'' at the other, with the other side doing the same but descending. It was a while ago so may well have been bigger.

The signal box on the platform at Waterloo was a small platform one, with a 'knee ' frame similar to the one at Sheffield Park.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, 73c said:

The signal box on the platform at Waterloo was a small platform one, with a 'knee ' frame similar to the one at Sheffield Park.

Sorry about the angle which doesn't show the frame completely but this is the former Waterloo W&C lever frame  (originally supplied by the Railway Signal Company) in its present day incarnation at Cockcrow Hill on the Great Cockcrow Railway.  and yes, it is very easy to bang your knees on the thing when working it.  Everything else in the picture, including the electric lever locks and circuit controllers did not come from Waterloo.)

cch.jpg.130a0674bc84c25e9169a0e3b5bb3351.jpg

• Like 6

On 19/07/2020 at 22:14, simon b said:

Thanks for that, exactly what I need. 

I've heard the sidings referred to as both north and west, North makes more sense to me but I wonder if it's a hang over from the other sidings that used to exist slightly further out.

Anyone know or have pics of what was behind the hoist? looks like some covered walkways to something?

It was known as the North Sidings, south sidings were accessed from Platform 1 on the other id of the station. I was a driver at Waterloo 1980-1988. Never got to use the lift though.