Modelling Tools Thread. (I could not find an appropiate section to post this so this will do!)

Power Tools.

Unimat Tools.

I find these tools to be an interesting investment. I would try to get the Metalline set even though it is more expensive, as everything is so much nicer. There is no play in the slides, and even if there was, the play can be adjusted.

There are cheaper alternatives available on the internet from the Far East, but I have not tried them to know what they are like.

Such tools are not cheap, but they do open up possibilities.

As a lathe probably a dedicated lathe like an axminster C1 would be better, but for a fun modellers gadget that can be used in many different ways, it is quite an attractive gadget to own.

I see it as a cross between Meccano and Lego in the way one can set it up in different ways. Takes a little getting used to at first, but once one gets the hang of it, it really does to a lot of things.

I will say that it is for softer metals or softer materials. I can possibly work slightly harder things as I have a powerline motor upgrade and reduction gearing but I don't think I would have the patience! 

But anyway. I thought I would start this thread dedicated to tools, be they hand tools, or powered little machines and gadgets. Feel free to add to this as you share some interesting tools and gadgets!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have since found that the play in slides of the more basic Unimat sets like the Unimat 1 can also be adjusted. I did not know this when I started the thread. I still find the Metalline slides much nicer to use. The two are actually fully compatible with each other so parts can be mixed if needed. I have recently had some extra goodies. A nice Powerline motor. I already have a transformer for it, so the plan is that I can put the Unimat into action and make some nice things. I enjoy making waggons and things like that, so we shall see. The sawtable means I can cut myself some wood to make a nice chassis. It also helps to be modelling in 7mm scale or larger when making things as they are an easier size to make wooden bits and pieces for.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...