Minimalist layout maximum interest?

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

The release of two ‘better’ Terriers, plus a P and E4 are of interest because of this website 

Newhaven, a rather nice way to spend an hour and it explained the context of an extraordinary image of Terrier off its leash at the bottom of a cliff. For the space starved, a bit of the hinterland before the branch crosses the river would be interesting, shades of Arun Quay but I prefer ‘maritime grot’ of upturned boats, Nissen huts and fishing equipment hauled out to repair. But for the adventurous amongst us a circular layout of the fort with cliffs, the fiddleyard at the back, would be a real eye catcher, surprised that a quick internet search revealed not a lot of Newhaven breakwater layouts.

Anyway, images. Not mine but found on Wiki for common use.

D448C4AA-6C7F-40B8-A05A-C207DFA5A61C.jpeg.b3338d8c313bce7443af6a3cb88f9574.jpeg

Courtesy High Vistas

The breakwater - courtesy of Oceania

AC6CAC43-E978-4AF6-AD49-3E829092BEE7.png.2f991d69630e1fadadd859bc85459205.png

Finally, a Terrier below the Fort, from the excellent website. 

DD96A618-F85A-407C-AB10-BF8DB996D2A7.jpeg.a5ee6aa26ff7ee37ea31883acc2a513f.jpeg

For a ‘buildings’ modeller, the West Quay branch would make a really good subject, so many and so varied structures in a higgeldy-piggeldy mess.

I never saw a loco there, but I can remember a couple of wagons parked on the bit of track opposite the pub at the end of the long breakwater. My Uncle Wilf liked to pop in there on the interesting excursions he used to conduct in his for dormomobile van. I was only small, but have good ‘mental pictures’ of the whole area, the chain dredger at work etc.