RMweb

RIP Peter Green

Colin

• RMweb Premium

I’m surprised no one else has started a thread on the passing of one of the greatest British guitarists (IMHO) - those early Fleetwood Mac albums provided a big part of the soundtrack to my teenage years and definitely went a long way towards showing me that there was more to music that the contents of the singles charts. After getting into the Mac, I picked up on his earlier work with John Mayall and still listen to “A Hard Road” from time to time.

I just hope he found peace in his later years.

• Like 9
  • Agree 7

I was a big fan, managed to see him with John Mayalls Bluesbreakers and Fleetwood Mac, last time I saw him was at the Bath Blues Festival in 1970, I did see some of his later concerts on tv, a fine virtuoso on the guitar and great song writer too. RIP Peter

• Like 5

My top two guitar players have always been Peter Green and Paul Kossoff. Both masters of tone and simplicity but could also burst into rapid fire, always finding that magic note that made you want to float away. They played solos that were tunes in themselves that you could remember, not a zillion notes of unrecognised widdly widdly.

Both still unsurpassed in my mind.

R.I.P. Peter and thank you for the music.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

I saw Peter Green with Fleetwood Mac twice at Torquay Town Hall. The first time they were still a four-piece R&B band but by the time I saw them a year or so later they had grown to five and had two or three hits under their belt. It's a great tragedy he let drugs drag him down. He was indeed a superb musician

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Two_sugars said:

Rest in peace.

John 

Mick Fleetwood said on a interview shown on BBC a few years ago , that the song on reflection was a call for help by him .

A very sad thing to say .

R.I.P and thanks for the fantastic guitar playing, and songs.

Edited by micklner
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

He made his guitar sing and cry with emotion, he "played " with his soul and not his technique. 

What happened through drugs and illness was so, so sad...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

If ‘Man of the World’ (to be played at my funeral as the box goes in the fire) was a cry for help, Green Manalishi is a cry for a cry for help, which the poor man never got until too late, and lived in a kind of twilight world for the next half century.  Like Colin, I too hope he made some peace with his demons before the end.  

Thank you, Peter, RIP. 

• Like 5